VOGONS

First post, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not promoting buying/selling, just a new solution. This isn't my product, and I've the permission from the dev to post about it here. Similar solutions were mentioned on Vogons, so I believe it fits here, since we talk about Voltage Blaster, 3.3v PCI mods, DC-DC converters and similar here. Apologies if I'm wrong.

It's a premade -12v to -5v linear regulator "drop in/plug in" solution for modern ATX supplies (though you still need strong 3.3v/5v rails for some builds), also does 24-20 pin conversion.

From the dev themselves: It's a linear regulator that uses the -12V from the power supply. That will work fine because -12V can only supply at most 300mA or so on modern power supplies, so the regulator would not heat that much even at full load.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
320.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600 1.jpg
Filename
s-l1600 1.jpg
File size
260.38 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600 2.jpg
Filename
s-l1600 2.jpg
File size
672.49 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600 3.jpg
Filename
s-l1600 3.jpg
File size
413.38 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600 4.jpg
Filename
s-l1600 4.jpg
File size
383.72 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The only parts that "scare" me is how exposed it is, and I dunno how flimsy that board is.
Opinions?

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. Am not sure the 24 to 20 pin adaptation even matters, only adds one more +3.3, +5 and +12v wire to mix.
Yes agree leaves lots parts exposed and for me seems a bit tall (bet I could recreate same as much as 20mm/3/4" shorter....)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

looks nice would be useful for anybody that has a card on this list ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

That being said theres been a lot of hysteria regarding -5v on here unless you have a card that needs it you dont need it.

Reply 3 of 3, by 2mg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-12-22, 02:05:

Interesting. Am not sure the 24 to 20 pin adaptation even matters, only adds one more +3.3, +5 and +12v wire to mix.
Yes agree leaves lots parts exposed and for me seems a bit tall (bet I could recreate same as much as 20mm/3/4" shorter....)

I saw threads years old about how someone could make, but this is the first available ready-to-go solution so far?
Also, wouldn't it be optimal to actually make -5v from extra unused 4 wires instead of -12v?

Warlord wrote on 2022-12-22, 03:52:

looks nice would be useful for anybody that has a card on this list ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

That being said theres been a lot of hysteria regarding -5v on here unless you have a card that needs it you dont need it.

True, but there were threads that didn't like the DIY DC-DC inverters or L7xxx, and Voltage Blaster takes a slot which is a no no for some.