VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2022-12-23, 17:14:
Awesome! For the connection, you can set up an FTP server with FileZilla Server on your modern machine. Configuration should be […]
Show full quote

Awesome!
For the connection, you can set up an FTP server with FileZilla Server on your modern machine. Configuration should be straight forward.

Then just connect with Internet Explorer 🙂

P.S. In Windows98, IIRC there's an FTP client you can install through the installation disk. Through it, you should also be able to transfer files to your modern machine

i gotta get internet explorer back on it cause when I first set it up, i deleted all the networking stuff 🤣. I should be able to go thru the install cd for that too if i can find the file path?

edit: i figured out internet explorer on the win98 machine, but im having trouble with setting up the server on the modern machine 🤣.

edit2: i cant seem to figure out connecting to the ftp on the win98 system. have no idea

Reply 21 of 31, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-12-23, 17:53:
i gotta get internet explorer back on it cause when I first set it up, i deleted all the networking stuff lol. I should be able […]
Show full quote
Awesome! For the connection, you can set up an FTP server with FileZilla Server on your modern machine. Configuration should be […]
Show full quote

Awesome!
For the connection, you can set up an FTP server with FileZilla Server on your modern machine. Configuration should be straight forward.

P.S. In Windows98, IIRC there's an FTP client you can install through the installation disk. Through it, you should also be able to transfer files to your modern machine

i gotta get internet explorer back on it cause when I first set it up, i deleted all the networking stuff 🤣. I should be able to go thru the install cd for that too if i can find the file path?

edit: i figured out internet explorer on the win98 machine, but im having trouble with setting up the server on the modern machine 🤣.

edit2: i cant seem to figure out connecting to the ftp on the win98 system. have no idea

Just curious, did the USB mass storage driver fix your USB flash drive issues? If that wasn't installed before then that is likely why it wasn't working.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 22 of 31, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-23, 20:55:

Just curious, did the USB mass storage driver fix your USB flash drive issues? If that wasn't installed before then that is likely why it wasn't working.

Ive had the driver installed before and it was working fine. Recently tried to use it and it didnt want to work. maybe i need to reinstall the driver.

Reply 23 of 31, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-12-23, 17:53:
i gotta get internet explorer back on it cause when I first set it up, i deleted all the networking stuff lol. I should be able […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Awesome!

On the address bar of Internet Explorer, type ftp://{modern_pc_ip_address}:{modern_pc_ftp_port}

You can get the ip address of the modern pc by giving

ipconfig

on its command prompt (should be something like 192.168.1.x).

The port is the one you configured on FileZilla (should be 21)

Reply 24 of 31, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2022-12-23, 22:01:
On the address bar of Internet Explorer, type ftp://{modern_pc_ip_address}:{modern_pc_ftp_port} […]
Show full quote

On the address bar of Internet Explorer, type ftp://{modern_pc_ip_address}:{modern_pc_ftp_port}

ipconfig

ooohhh ok. im dumb today 🤣. i got an ftp folder error tho

Reply 25 of 31, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-12-23, 22:27:
Demetrio wrote on 2022-12-23, 22:01:
On the address bar of Internet Explorer, type ftp://{modern_pc_ip_address}:{modern_pc_ftp_port} […]
Show full quote

ipconfig

ooohhh ok. im dumb today 🤣. i got an ftp folder error tho

What does the error say?

Reply 26 of 31, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2022-12-23, 23:06:

What does the error say?

"An error occurred reading the contents of the folder. Make sure file name is valid and you have permission to access the location specified. Details: The operation timed out"

Reply 27 of 31, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

cf card is the best all around flexible option. sure, it might not be the absolute best fit in this particular circumstance, but is this going to be the last retro pc you build ever?

i'm using a cf card to pcmcia adapter and usb 3.0 multi-card reader. total cost was $15.

Reply 28 of 31, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-12-23, 23:25:
Demetrio wrote on 2022-12-23, 23:06:

What does the error say?

"An error occurred reading the contents of the folder. Make sure file name is valid and you have permission to access the location specified. Details: The operation timed out"

Ok, check if the folder has Read and List directory permissions for SYSTEM user:
Right click on the folder > Properties > Security.

Set these permissions if missing.

Reply 29 of 31, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2022-12-24, 06:28:

Ok, check if the folder has Read and List directory permissions for SYSTEM user:

permissions are set that i can tell... I have an idea for an alternative option. when I get my NAS set back up, ill connect it to the NAS instead of directly to the modern system, and transfer files that way.

Reply 30 of 31, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davidrg wrote on 2022-12-23, 01:01:
flynth wrote on 2022-12-22, 23:42:

Another, more serious issue was that a 500GB external HDD would not work at all with the Win98SE. When connected it would spin up and then make a clicking noise similar to the famous "usb hdd click of death", but it worked fine on the modern pc after. So I concluded the USB 1 probably can't supply enough power to run a mechanical HDD. Back in the day I used 3.5in IDE to USB caddies with DC power Jacks.Self powered USB Hdds arrived around USB2 era if I remember correctly.

If you are having issues with modern USB storage devices on Win98SE it may be due to power consumption. I would try a powered USB hub or older USB sticks.

Quite possible Windows 98 just can't handle a hard disk that big too - 500GB is an order of magnitude or two bigger than anything you could buy at the time. I don't know about USB Mass Storage Devices, but for IDE drives the limit is somewhere below 150GB with the exact limit depending on the particular machine/BIOS/etc.

Windows98 can’t handle IDE devices over 137.4 GB. Those devices use LBA48 addressing. Win98 can’t handle that without a patch.

Patch is here:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=6 … menustate=56,55

I like CF devices to move files between computers. They are small enough to be convenient, but are pretty rugged and not so small that they get lost in the seat cusions. However CF’s have been arround for a long time, so they are some differences in speed and compatibility between a Y2k CF , a consumer camera CF from 2020, and an industrial HD replacement CF.

Reply 31 of 31, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-12-24, 19:56:
Demetrio wrote on 2022-12-24, 06:28:

permissions are set that i can tell... I have an idea for an alternative option. when I get my NAS set back up, ill connect it to the NAS instead of directly to the modern system, and transfer files that way.

Maybe you need to add an user with permissions, as showed here: https://youtu.be/U0J2F7qrpts