VOGONS

First post, by GinnunGagap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I bought 2 different SATA2IDE adapters and CF2IDE. SATA2IDE doesn't work for some reason, LEDs are blinking, 2.5" 250GB HDD drive is spinning, but no detection in BIOS, the same with SATA DVD-RW. CF2IDE is working fine. Maybe 250GB HDD is too much for Asus P2B-F? And I heard that CD/DVD doesn't work with SATA2IDE adapters.

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0617.jpg
    File size
    1.81 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 6, by karakarga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"... I heard that CD/DVD doesn't work with SATA2IDE adapters."

That is not true, those adapters build for such need. Bu sure they are already working well. Some are IDE to Sata, and Sata to IDE both, be careful when making connections! By the way, they may not support Compact Flash cards, first try with compatible devices.

Reply 2 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Asus P2B-F is a BX motherboard. Max supported HDD would be 120GB and maybe a BIOS update.
Not sure why the optical drive doesn't work, I've never tried such a setup

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SATA to IDE adapters are not all the same.

IMHO, if one buys such an adapter with an unidentified/unbranded chip, he better be feeling very lucky. It might work well, or not at all, or something in between .

Additionally, even known brand chips have their compatibility issues with certain IDE controllers. Adapter design/build issues can be variables too.

The PIIX4E on the P2B-F works fine with JMicron and Marvell based SATA to IDE adapters (at least the ones I have tried). ICH2 works fine with those as well. JMicron based adapters have issues with later (post ICH2) Intel IDE controllers and VIA 686B controllers, however (stability and or DMA, AFAICR).

As for the disk size issue, it can be addressed using XTIDE BIOS, either as an option ROM on an ISA NIC, or a dedicated XTIDE card or even as an option ROM in a modded BIOS, like I have working on my P3B-F Adding XT-IDE option ROM to Asus P3B-F BIOS [Thanks to DenizOezmen, it actually works!!!]

Reply 4 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something not mentioned is that compatibility with CD audio is reduced (especially in DOS) as these adapters lacks the connector and the IDE cable weren't initially used for sending the CD audio output into the sound card.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LeFlash wrote on 2023-01-06, 16:56:

There are no audio signals in the ide cable.

I was referring to the capability that later OSes have to covert the audio signal, which makes them transferrable thru IDE or SATA.

Have to admit thought, that I didn't clarify my statement on the previous post.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS