VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happens if two computers linked together with one monitor and one keyboard via kvm switch are switched on the fly? Or can I switch from one computer to another when turned on only by selecting the port of the corresponding computer? Does the computer freeze if the keyboard and mouse are disconnected while it is on?

Reply 1 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-12-22, 23:13:

Or can I switch from one computer to another when turned on only by selecting the port of the corresponding computer?

This, you can switch to any connected computer while they are all on. The KVM doesn't just disconnect everything and route them to a different port, the inactive computer won't be aware of the switch. So you won't have hardware disconnected/connected notifications, delays to install the keyboard again etc. It's all seamless.

I'm talking about serious KVMs though, not some old variants that are purely mechanic and you literally flip a switch to reroute the connections.

Reply 2 of 5, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did experience some issues with W98 though. My KVM-switch (D-Link DKVM-2KU) always selects my XP system as default and if I turn the W98 system while the XP system is selected (I have to switch immediately when turning on the W98 PC), it won't detect the mouse for some reason and need a reboot. Once it's booted, it doesn't care anymore.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 5, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2022-12-23, 09:26:

Or can I switch from one computer to another when turned on only by selecting the port of the corresponding computer?

This, you can switch to any connected computer while they are all on. The KVM doesn't just disconnect everything and route them to a different port, the inactive computer won't be aware of the switch. So you won't have hardware disconnected/connected notifications, delays to install the keyboard again etc. It's all seamless.

I'm talking about serious KVMs though, not some old variants that are purely mechanic and you literally flip a switch to reroute the connections.

tnks, can you please tell ehat you consider “serous kvm”? some example models that non cost an harm..

Reply 4 of 5, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-12-23, 13:03:
konc wrote on 2022-12-23, 09:26:

tnks, can you please tell ehat you consider “serous kvm”? some example models that non cost an harm..

There are a lot of them. I am using a couple of Aten kvm's without problems. Here are the ones I use:

Aten CS1784 (DVI/USB)
Aten CS64A (VGA/PS2)

Didn't cost a lot when I bought them some time ago.

Reply 5 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-12-23, 13:03:

Don't worry much about it, almost all KVMs will behave like they should. I doubt these mechanical switches still exist, I mentioned them mostly for completeness.