VOGONS

First post, by deksar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I'd like to ask, on i7-3770 (Not the 'K' one), should we still apply the deliding process?

Does that model suffer the same well-known Intel thermal-paste problem? Or it was only for 3770K?

I'm talking about this process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppql7sTmQIc

Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 6, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you'll have any thermal issues with a 3770. You can't overclock it beyond its turbo multipliers, plus Ivy Bridge in general was cooler running than both Sandy Bridge before it and Haswell after it (at least, at stock speeds).
Hell, I think the third gen was the coolest running of all the gens. 😀

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 3 of 6, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 3770 in my current main rig too, it's an HP Elite which my employer was throwing away. It has no heat problems so I'll stay away from delidding it.
With something specialized like benchmarks it will get to about 90'c but no throttling... So that's ok to me

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Replace thermal paste. Should not hit that 90C. On average should see 50C to 60C on average using Prime95 and yes I have HP elitedesk 800 G1 at work, bought it myself for work and my home computers Z220 and Z420. Both not north of 60C when stressed.

All this is due to using premium paste like AS5, Noctua NT-H2.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 6, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

prime95 is amateur stuff, try linpack xtreme sometime.

ivy bridge certainly had pretty low power draw, but that combination of small cores and thermal paste under the IHS wasn't exactly known for good temps...