VOGONS

First post, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am trying to install Windows 98 on the motherboard in question, since someone managed to adopt the proper X58 drivers https://www.modlabs.net/articles/installing-w … tel-x58-chipset

To install Windows 98, I need to set the SATA controller to compatible mode.

IMG_3966.jpg
Filename
IMG_3966.jpg
File size
502.01 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

When I do this, however, this point in the boot phase lasts between 3 and 4 minutes (real clock time), during which time the hard disk use light stays on.
If I let the time pass, the computer boots and the Windows 98 boot floppy via mscdex correctly recognizes the SATA CD drive...in short, everything works

IMG_3965.jpg
Filename
IMG_3965.jpg
File size
438.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But it is impossible to use the computer with this waiting time at each reboot. Do you have any idea how to proceed? Maybe I need to intervene on these parameters? Or look for an older SATA disk?

IMG_3967.jpg
Filename
IMG_3967.jpg
File size
455.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If I disconnect the disc the boot obviously is instantaneous, it seems that the controller set to compatible mode does some kind of "analysis"

Reply 1 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would definitely try changing the hard disk setting from Auto to manual and see if that solves the issue.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 15, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Under type I have:
-CD\DVD
-ARMD

LBA:
-Enable
-Disable
-Auto

Block multi sector:
-Enable
-Disable
-Auto

PIO:
-1 to 4 + auto

DMA:
-A long list of dma modes

SMART
-Enable
-Disable

32bit:
-Enable
-Disable

Reply 3 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The screen shot shows how it was detected - I would match all of those setting manually and see if that speeds things up.

Reply 4 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It took a while to find this, but I had this experience with an older P4 motherboard:

"I wanted to get this out there in case anyone else with this board has this issue. I was given this board a few months ago and it had some obvious failing capacitors, but it still booted into Windows when I replaced the blown power supply. So I recently got around to replacing the bad caps, and installed Windows XP on a 240 gig SSD connected to the SATA 0 port by using the CDROM on the SATA 1 port and everything went fine. It was on BIOS FC from 11/18/2003 and I decided to update it to FG dated 9/9/2004. When I rebooted after the update, it wouldn't load Windows and the message was "Error loading operating system." I tried many different things, but had no luck. I then stepped it back by flashed it to FF which was dated 8/11/2004, but I still had the same error!

I went into Standard CMOS Features and changed IDE Channel 0 Master's Access Mode from Auto to Large and then it loaded Windows with no issue."

GA-8IPE1000 Pro (rev. 2.x) BIOS FG

Reply 6 of 15, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay by playing with the settings I have better identified the problem.

The motherboard can't access the hard drive if the controller is set to compatible mode.

If I put all the settings manually the boot phase ends right away because the card does not need to access the disk.

But right after that the attempt to boot an operating system occurs and at that point it freezes again for a few minutes until it fails by booting from the second device (the floppy)

At that point the Windows98 boot floppy is loaded, I give the fdisk command and again disk access is attempted, failing again. Fdisk then returns the error "error reading fixed disk"

Ideas?

Reply 7 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no experience with installing Win98 with that chipset; the latest I've ever tried it with was an Intel 875. I did find this guide for installing Win98 on an X58 motherboard, maybe it has the answer? https://www.modlabs.net/articles/installing-w … et#.Y7NUqhXMKUk

Reply 9 of 15, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What style of cable are you using for IDE (40 wire or 80 wire) ?
Also, since this is IDE controller "talking to" SATA SSD, I guess there is an adapter somewhere ?
If so, adapter may not support higher/other modes (that are selected by default by "AUTO" setting).

Reply 10 of 15, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-01-09, 13:50:

What style of cable are you using for IDE (40 wire or 80 wire) ?
Also, since this is IDE controller "talking to" SATA SSD, I guess there is an adapter somewhere ?
If so, adapter may not support higher/other modes (that are selected by default by "AUTO" setting).

I do not have any IDE cable. The controller is a SATA (intel ICH10R built into the X58 chipset), connected to a SATA SSD via a SATA cable.

However, set in compatible mode it emulates a PATA/IDE controller and the operating system does not notice that it is working with a SATA controller

Reply 11 of 15, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

why exactly are you trying to run windows 98 on an x58 system anyway that hardware is much to new for windows 98. there isn't going to be any official drivers for any of the chipset or ide/sata stuff.

u would be much better off getting a hold of something from the pentium 3 or early pentium 4 era on intel or and athlon or athlon xp from amd those will all have driver for windows 98 and AGP is much more compatible for windows 98.

x58 is much more suited for windows xp or 7

Reply 12 of 15, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaron158 wrote on 2023-01-09, 16:57:

why exactly are you trying to run windows 98 on an x58 system anyway that hardware is much to new for windows 98. there isn't going to be any official drivers for any of the chipset or ide/sata stuff.

If you want performance, X58 will be faster than Pentium III/Athlon XP.
Sure, for GPUs you are limited to PCX series or GF6/7 from NV and X8xx/X6xx/X3xx cards from ATI, BUT platform itself should still be faster without drivers vs. old platforms with official ones.
You can plug a separate PCI sound card or PCI IDE/SATA controller card with Win98 driver (if you can't live with basic M$ driver for it). As multiple PCI ports aren't uncommon on X58.

Still, unless "official" drivers make you faster, there is no point in them (to me at least).
Problems with devices on Win98 (Resource conflicts for example), can be easily solved by disabling it in device manager. I don't care about having red crosses or yellow triangles in it - if games work, it's fine to me.

Reply 13 of 15, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-01-10, 07:51:
If you want performance, X58 will be faster than Pentium III/Athlon XP. Sure, for GPUs you are limited to PCX series or GF6/7 fr […]
Show full quote

If you want performance, X58 will be faster than Pentium III/Athlon XP.
Sure, for GPUs you are limited to PCX series or GF6/7 from NV and X8xx/X6xx/X3xx cards from ATI, BUT platform itself should still be faster without drivers vs. old platforms with official ones.
You can plug a separate PCI sound card or PCI IDE/SATA controller card with Win98 driver (if you can't live with basic M$ driver for it). As multiple PCI ports aren't uncommon on X58.

Still, unless "official" drivers make you faster, there is no point in them (to me at least).
Problems with devices on Win98 (Resource conflicts for example), can be easily solved by disabling it in device manager. I don't care about having red crosses or yellow triangles in it - if games work, it's fine to me.

p3/p4 althon xp can run any windows 98 era game at high fps already.

Reply 14 of 15, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are correct, games for Win98 probably don't need more than PIII/AthlonXP.
However that's not what OP has running or what he asked about.
Maybe he wants to dual/triple boot with XP/7 on this setup (because X58 will be great at that) ?
(and PIII/AXP are simply too slow for that)

Reply 15 of 15, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I confirm that with the options explained in the posts above it works, soon I will post a thread where I illustrate this strange configuration

u would be much better off getting a hold of something from the pentium 3 or early pentium 4 era on intel or and athlon or athlon xp from amd those will all have driver for windows 98 and AGP is much more compatible for windows 98.

x58 is much more suited for windows xp or 7

There is no specific motivation, I would say for fun and curiosity