VOGONS

Toshiba T8500

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe is better that way due to module pin order.

I replaced PS circuit board with generic hec 250W ATX. Unoccupied Adruino Nano breakout board was volunteer to work as an adapter. Not the best one, but it will do.
I arranged wires better after these pictures. It's a complete package again. I didn't break any oniginal components so that I can use the original PS again if I repair it someday.

And it POSTS!

Floppy drive didn't read and span too fast. Replaced two leaked capacitors and reads like perfect now. Looks like this also supports only 100MB HDD.. Controller founds 2GB HDD but configures it as 100MB. Well, we have XTIDE.

Attachments

• IMG_20230129_141157.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230129_141157.jpg
    File size
    598.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 21 of 29, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

System up and running. Installed DOS 6.22 on very quiet 120GB Samsung Spinpoint. 2GB partition sounds like a waste.

There's no way configure or even disable HDD 0&1 configuration. System "autodetects" somehing there, max 100MB. Installed XTIDE on ethernet ROM + overlay and works fine.
System supports 2 HDDs, but I don't know where to mount the second. There's like only other half of the mounting bracket, I don't know how that is supposed to work.

Well, still needs a sound card and maybe a SCSI cable to connect that Yamaha drive (just for kicks).

Attachments

• IMG_20230131_200345.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230131_200345.jpg
    File size
    412.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 25 of 29, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally received some memory chips. After some corrections to the prototype batch it seems to work perfectly. Tested good as 2MB and 8MB pairs.

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 26 of 29, by berno777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi fool, I'm very looking forward to your 40-pin memory kit.
Can you already foresee
- will you also produce a 2mb kit or are we supposed to use 2 x 8mb kits in order to upgrade from 4mb (2mb onboard + 2x1mb) to the maximum supported 14mb?
- how much will the 8mb kit cost?
- when will it be available?
Best regards!

Reply 28 of 29, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
berno777 wrote on 2023-03-11, 01:59:
Hi fool, I'm very looking forward to your 40-pin memory kit. Can you already foresee - will you also produce a 2mb kit or are we […]
Show full quote

Hi fool, I'm very looking forward to your 40-pin memory kit.
Can you already foresee
- will you also produce a 2mb kit or are we supposed to use 2 x 8mb kits in order to upgrade from 4mb (2mb onboard + 2x1mb) to the maximum supported 14mb?
- how much will the 8mb kit cost?
- when will it be available?
Best regards!

Would it be reasonable to design extra 2MB pair? It would be much cheaper, but is there demand? At least I could draw a design and publish the production data here, without prototyping. I have the schematic ready so it should not take long to draw layout.

No clue about the price yet, but something like cost of goods + small compensation for soldering and testing. I will make another small build in future with corrected layout and maybe sell those at some yet uknown retro-oriented site. If everything goes well, then maybe publish it for free use. I think the demand for these are so low that I don't want to storage tens of modules waiting for a buyer.

Additional propiertary 30-pin parity SIMM is not needed. This 8MB (and also 2MB) module pair includes necessary parities.

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 29 of 29, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you still see al the 120GB drive? it should work with overlay partitioning.... (check my older posts for the T3100e , had no problems with 4.3 gb partitioned in fat16(x3 volumes) , you should be able to go up to f16 x26 volumes of 2gb-&no floppy alocation ... or one fat32 big volume.

My 80486-S i66 Project