VOGONS

First post, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I recently got a parallel port zip drive and a few disks practically for free. The case was extremely brittle and I had to glue about a dozen pieces back together.

The drive starts up with only the green LED lighting up (not connected to PC). When I insert a disk, the amber LED flashes quickly and the motor starts to spin briefly. The head doesn't attempt to move. About a second later, the amber LED changes into a steady slow blinking and that's it. As far as I understand that indicates some kind of error. The manual says to eject and reinsert the disk if the LED blinks slowly. Doing that changes nothing though. PSU is fine. The internal electrolytic cap in the drive also tests fine.

Has anyone here some experience on what is causing this slowly blinking LED?
How does a working drive react when a disk is inserted while the drive is not connected to a PC? Does the motor spin up? Do the heads move?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It must be connected to a computer port with driver support or else it does not initialize proper iirc.
found this FAQ: http://web.archive.org/web/20000517195955/htt … ments/2140.html

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 8, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-01-03, 00:33:

It must be connected to a computer port with driver support or else it does not initialize proper iirc.
found this FAQ: http://web.archive.org/web/20000517195955/htt … ments/2140.html

Thanks! But nevermind, the problem was my very own stupidity. So for the record:

You cannot operate the drive without the top half of the case. It has a piece of plastic that acts as a stop to prevent the disk from sliding too far inside the drive when inserting it. Without that, you will slide the disk into what -seems- to be its natural position, but it is actually not. You can slide it in carefully to about 2-3mm before that position is reached and keep holding it there against the spring tension. Then the drive will not show the slow blinking LED error, but instead spin up the motor and move the heads back and forth indefinitely (without a cable attached).

It looks just like in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW7HKP100zI

Reply 3 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Zip drives are kind of living their own bizarre life.... I suspect they act more or less the same as a Jazz drive, but I never had a chance to test out Jazz drives. But I have tested one Zip drive, once, to see if it was working. But that is more than 5 years ago. Just saying that they work way different than other drive technologies.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 8, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2023-01-03, 10:29:

Zip drives are kind of living their own bizarre life.... I suspect they act more or less the same as a Jazz drive, but I never had a chance to test out Jazz drives. But I have tested one Zip drive, once, to see if it was working. But that is more than 5 years ago. Just saying that they work way different than other drive technologies.

I think for the time, the actual storage technology of zip drives wasn't bad. From what I see, it seems quite superior to floppies. The heads are moved on a fixed rail without stepper motor or additional mechanics, and the disk itself protects the surface much better than floppy disks do. Of course, I can imagine those flimsy harddrive-like heads getting bent pretty easily when broken or warped disks are inserted.

And the build quality of the actual drive doesn't seem very good. There is not a single screw inside and almost no metal parts. Everything needed to keep the mechanics in place is molded into the plastic case parts. I think because of that, the case needed to be molded with very tight tolerances and they had to use a pretty hard plastics mixture to accomplish that. This could explain why zip drive cases are so extremely brittle, more than anything I came across so far. It is totally made to a price point, and I don't think it justified a retail price of 200$ back in the day. In comparison, a CDROM drive in 1997 did cost only half the money while the mechanics of these older drives were still comparably sturdy.

Reply 5 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a mix of both Internal and External 100/250 zip drives and they can either be one of the easiest things to get working or one of the most frustrating, my guess is they pick a day of the week for which they choose.

The easiest one I have to get working is the SCSI internal one which just fucking works.

Looking at grabbing a Zip 750 just to see if the insanity extended to that model too 🤣

Reply 6 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-01-03, 11:03:
I have a mix of both Internal and External 100/250 zip drives and they can either be one of the easiest things to get working or […]
Show full quote

I have a mix of both Internal and External 100/250 zip drives and they can either be one of the easiest things to get working or one of the most frustrating, my guess is they pick a day of the week for which they choose.

The easiest one I have to get working is the SCSI internal one which just fucking works.

Looking at grabbing a Zip 750 just to see if the insanity extended to that model too 🤣

It is the internal SCSI that I have, and the only one that I have tried in my life. I also only have one disk.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 8, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jaz drives can be as temperamental as Zip drives, I've personally got two 2GB Jaz drives, one older green V2000S drive, and a newer model that is grey-blueish.. The green drive I got it along with some disks but the drive itself was dead on arrival, it would take the disk in, spin it up and it would sit here, not even unlatching the heads or doing a seek test.

I don't know what happened with that drive, it had no evidence of physical trauma (like a drop or anything like that), though I did hear that some older Jaz drives had a bug in their firmware that would cause the drive to brick itself, maybe it's that, maybe it's something else... I don't know, and have no way to know as this drive is long gone as I tore it apart to examine the mechanism for any damage, you'd be surprised to know that external 2GB Jaz drives under the hood are just a internal drive (V2000SI) slapped into a enclosure with a SCSI adapter board (that plugs into the drive's IDC50, Molex and jumper block) connected to it. Reminds me of external LS-120 drives for some reason.

Technology, old and new alike, can have its fair share of idiosyncrasies, quirks and other mysterious things that can or can't be explained.

As for Zip drives, I personally got two 100MB drives, one internal (Z100SI) and external (Z100S2) both SCSI, only one disk, so far I haven't got any issues with them, I use them to shuttle data from my Power Macintosh 7500 and my LC II (after it'll be recapped).. They work nicely for that purpose.

Oh and one last thing, Parallel port Zip drives, internally are SCSI drives with a SCSI-LPT bridge chip duct taped on it. Think of it as the "Jaz Traveller" adapter which was the same thing, a Parallel to SCSI bridge.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 8 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep a couple of these things around to shuffle data to/from systems that don't have an easier bulk-transfer method - my X68000 being a prime example; although it uses a SCSI2SD, there's no easy means to get data on/off a Sharp/Human68k filesystem (neither Windows or Linux can read it except as an image file in ancient tool called 'DiskExplorer'), so.... it hosts an external Zip 250 SCSI drive, and I have one of the very late Zip 250 USB (the semi-transparent, rounded model) that I hang off my Linux workstation.

The USB model 'just works', thanks to Linux. I also have a Zip 100 ATAPI drive in a 386, but I hardly ever use it as the system also has a CF drive - it's mainly as a backup method for getting data on/off the X68000. As long as everything just uses FAT16, all the drives talk to each other (obviously only 100MB disks in the ATAPI drive!).

Back when these came out I was an early adopter and had a Zip 100 IDE in my desktop. It worked well for a while and then succumbed to the click of death. I got a refurbished drive and half a dozen disks from Iomega when I complained. I never trusted it after that. These days the disks are never used for anything approaching backup, only for shuffling data about.

I *did* have to buy two of the SCSI 250 drives to find a working one. The first one I bought almost fell apart when I looked at it, just like someone else described, above!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net