VOGONS

Mouse problem

Topic actions

First post, by Pieczka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I have a HP Vectra VE5/75 with P1 75 mHz onboard. Works perfectly, but i have a little problem : sometimes mouse not recognized at Windows start, but if recognized, works perfectly.
It happens on WfW3.11, W95 and NT3.51. Moise is PS/2 Genius NetScroll 100. I have no other suitable mouse at the moment. Any suggestions?

BR
Deniss

Reply 1 of 2, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could be faulty plug or cable? Is the PS2 port soldered to the mobo or plugged into a header - if it's a header then maybe try to re-seat it? IIRC Windows tries to detect the PS2 mouse once at start and if it doesn't find it will not try again. Do you have anything connected to the serial ports? Perhaps something is making Windows think it has a serial mouse instead.

Reply 2 of 2, by zami555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately broken wires are quite common failure mode for mouses. Your problem could be related to one of the wires being broken and loosing contact from time to to time.

Most of the time the wires breaks right in the point where they go out of mouse. So solution could be to cut the wire there and solder remaining part to connector inside the mouse.