VOGONS

First post, by vermillion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just aquired a Pentium 2 server system with duel pII cpu's and agp. motherboard is a supermicro P6DBE Rev 2.01.
I only want to use the system for dos and maybe some W98, So my question is, should i remove one of the cpu's and replace with a terminator card or just leave it as is. And i have a dell terminator card from another pickup, would that work or are terminator cards different.
I have the system running great at the moment with both dos and W98 but for the longevity of the system would it be better with only one cpu.
many thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vermillion wrote on 2023-01-04, 19:51:
I have just aquired a Pentium 2 server system with duel pII cpu's and agp. motherboard is a supermicro P6DBE Rev 2.01. I only […]
Show full quote

I have just aquired a Pentium 2 server system with duel pII cpu's and agp. motherboard is a supermicro P6DBE Rev 2.01.
I only want to use the system for dos and maybe some W98, So my question is, should i remove one of the cpu's and replace with a terminator card or just leave it as is. And i have a dell terminator card from another pickup, would that work or are terminator cards different.
I have the system running great at the moment with both dos and W98 but for the longevity of the system would it be better with only one cpu.
many thanks.

Supermicro only began shipping BX (and GX) based boards with terminator cards in July 2000, specifically to support Coppermine processors - before that termination of single processor Pentium 2 setups wasn't required. As DOS / W98 can't address the 2nd processor, you might as well pull it.