VOGONS

First post, by Phileholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is in response to this thread
Re: Building a WinXP PC

These are the specs I'll be going with for a WinXP PC for video-capturing SD analog media. It's mainly built around an ATI AIW 9800 Pro. The only thing left to choose from is the RAM

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7600
Motherboard: ASRock 775i65G R3.0
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" 2TB
Graphics Card: ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro
Sound Card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
PSU: Corsair SF450 Gold

For the ram/memory, the MB being used can support up to DDR 400 2GB. I'll, of course, choose the best name brand for this, but to help narrow down my choices better, what should I look for in ram/memory for a system like this? For example, 184-pin is the standard form factor for DDR(1), correct?

Also, if anyone has any recommended make/models, please feel free to share them.

Reply 1 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I recall gskill having some really nice sticks back then. I think I may have even had some.

They had a model that had really low timings.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 18, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kingston is kind of bullit proof, when we are dealing with DDR-400. If they are the fastest I simply do not know. But the Kingston stick's that I have, are still working flawless.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 18, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If i remember good, i had Super Talent RAM, 400MHz, CL2(2-2-2-5). That was (and i think still is) the fastest DDR back then. Try finding those, You won't regret.

Reply 6 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you need 2 Gb - any brand that made overclocking modules on Infineon BE/CE chips and explicitly state that it works with CL2 timings. If you want high FSB overclocking - consider Samsung UCCC/LCCC (original modules).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 18, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These boards can take literally anything. I have tested BH-5, TCCD, UCCC, Infineon B die (BE-5?) ...
I prefer Infineon B die, due to 1GB capacity per stick (2GB total), latency, overclockability, availability and price:
* CL2: G.SKILL F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX or Kingston KHX3200AK2/2G
* CL2.5: G.SKILL F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS

G.Skill comes with Brainpower PCB, not sure about KHX.
Currently running KHX3200AK2/2G, CL2.5-3-3-8 @225MHz 2.6V (FSB 900 with E5800).
Price is usually ~20€ per kit on *bay.

BH-5 pops up on *bay from time to time but there is no use for it on this board (it likes high voltages).
TCCD is more frequent, but is limited to 512MB modules ... same as BH-5.

Reply 11 of 18, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never went for brand names, only for specs. And when it comes to overclocking (RAM) I remember reviews in magazines from the DDR-era where the 'overclocker-modules' where no better than NoName. Today DDR-modules are so cheap that you can buy a box full and test them

Reply 13 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanSolo wrote on 2023-01-07, 12:27:

I never went for brand names, only for specs. And when it comes to overclocking (RAM) I remember reviews in magazines from the DDR-era where the 'overclocker-modules' where no better than NoName. Today DDR-modules are so cheap that you can buy a box full and test them

"NoName" usually used bottom of the barrel binned chips from major RAM manufacturers (Samsung, Hynix, etc), deemed not meeting their quality standards. Rarely you'll get some hidden gems here.
It's more about brandname non-OC modules being very much capable of overclocking. But you simply won't get certain chip types outside of overclocking modules. Like for example Samsung TCCD or Infineon CE.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 14 of 18, by Phileholic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2023-01-07, 14:18:

I did some browsing through Newegg and found these make/models
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare … C9SIA1K6G0A9687