VOGONS

First post, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I have an external parallel port iomega zip 100 drive here and a few disks. However the original cable for connecting it to the parallel port is missing.

Does anyone here know if the pinout of the original cable matches a standard 1:1 parallel port cable? I suspect yes, but I'm not able to find any reliable information on that.

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 4, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
watz wrote on 2023-01-08, 12:19:
Hi! […]
Show full quote

Hi!

I have an external parallel port iomega zip 100 drive here and a few disks. However the original cable for connecting it to the parallel port is missing.

Does anyone here know if the pinout of the original cable matches a standard 1:1 parallel port cable? I suspect yes, but I'm not able to find any reliable information on that.

Thanks!

IIRC, the supplied cable had good shielding, as a mainstream LPT cable has none or just basic shielding.
No speed difference as per my tests, it's slow anyway 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4 of 4, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Took an old Centronics cable, cut it and soldered a female DB25 to it 1:1. The drive worked first try!

Considering that I got the drive totally shattered into a dozen different plastic pieces it is actually a miracle. It came with the original setup floppy and three zip disks. The tools zip disk also still had the original content so I was able to experience the original zip drive setup experience on Windows 3.11 😉

One of the zip disks contained nothing but one Eagles album as 112kbps MP3 files without ID3 info, created in June 1997. The files are perfectly playing. I'm pretty sure that I also had my very first MP3 experiences in 1997.

btw: My eject button also broke into pieces, so I designed and printed a replacement. It can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5773627