VOGONS

First post, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons, I could do with some help troubleshooting a problem.

I have a SOYO SY-5EMA with 64mb PC100 and a MMX P166 installed.

About an hour ago the machine was working wonderfully but since rebooting it's posting really slowly and even getting stuck on detecting the last IDE drive.

Here's a link to a video of the MB posting: https://youtu.be/b68csYYVN2w

I've disconnected everything except the video card which is a 2mb Trident plugged into an ISA slot.

There are a couple of things that changed between switching off the machine and the problem starting. I used a USB to PS2 adapter. I moved the computer into a different room. I tightened the screws on the Voodoo2 D-Sub connection and on the S3 ViRGE. I plugged a speaker cable into a the Creative Audigy 2.

I've removed the CMOS battery. The board doesn't have a turbo function.

Unfortunately I don't have any other ram to try in the machine but there's some in the post so I can try that in a day or so.

Thank you for your help.

Anthony

Asus P5A v1.06, Gigabyte GA-6BXDS, Soyo SY-5EMA (faulty), Viglen 486, Asus SP97-V

Reply 1 of 7, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have a Trident ISA video and an S3 Virge installed? Just stick in whatever one of a PCI or AGP card you know works. If AGP, make sure it is fully inserted.

Clear the CMOS and put back in the CMOS battery, if it can hold settings. Or buy a new coin cell.

Try a different power supply.

Also read the manual in the troubleshooting section:
https://ia802509.us.archive.org/view_archive. … Fm5emapro10.pdf

Reply 2 of 7, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
the3dfxdude wrote on 2023-01-10, 18:03:
Do you have a Trident ISA video and an S3 Virge installed? Just stick in whatever one of a PCI or AGP card you know works. If AG […]
Show full quote

Do you have a Trident ISA video and an S3 Virge installed? Just stick in whatever one of a PCI or AGP card you know works. If AGP, make sure it is fully inserted.

Clear the CMOS and put back in the CMOS battery, if it can hold settings. Or buy a new coin cell.

Try a different power supply.

Also read the manual in the troubleshooting section:
https://ia802509.us.archive.org/view_archive. … Fm5emapro10.pdf

Thanks for your help.

The only graphics card installed is the Trident ISA. I'll put the CMOS battery back in a clear the CMOS using the jumper setting but I can't imagine that doing much since the battery has been removed.

Why did you suggest using a different power supply?

Asus P5A v1.06, Gigabyte GA-6BXDS, Soyo SY-5EMA (faulty), Viglen 486, Asus SP97-V

Reply 3 of 7, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've swapped the memory out for 2 x 64mb EDO Dimms but that hasn't solved the problem. I've also tried a different CPU and removed the motherboard from it's case in case there was a short somewhere.

I'm thinking perhaps the USB to PS2 has fried something, is that a possibility?

Reply 4 of 7, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cookertron wrote on 2023-01-10, 18:30:

Why did you suggest using a different power supply?

Because power supplies can go marginal and start introducing instability, or poor behavior at boot. This can happen gradually depending on use. But, I think the cmos should be reset and battery installed. So I don't know what parts you have on hand, but since you have already brought the computer down to minimum configuration from what I can tell and checked memory and cpu. Now is left to do the remaining process of elimination. The power supply is going to be the next to try to eliminate. Of course caps on the mother board can go marginal too, but you'd have to do an inspection to know or swap in a similar board to check if everything else is ok. I doubt there is a short because the system must be getting a power good from the power supply, but there again, we need to check the power supply to be sure it's really ok.

cookertron wrote:

I'm thinking perhaps the USB to PS2 has fried something, is that a possibility?

I've not heard of that. I'm guessing you weren't originally using this either? Do you have all the parts back in that were originally working for you?

Reply 5 of 7, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
the3dfxdude wrote on 2023-01-11, 00:29:

Because power supplies can go marginal and start introducing instability, or poor behavior at boot. This can happen gradually depending on use. But, I think the cmos should be reset and battery installed. So I don't know what parts you have on hand, but since you have already brought the computer down to minimum configuration from what I can tell and checked memory and cpu. Now is left to do the remaining process of elimination. The power supply is going to be the next to try to eliminate. Of course caps on the mother board can go marginal too, but you'd have to do an inspection to know or swap in a similar board to check if everything else is ok. I doubt there is a short because the system must be getting a power good from the power supply, but there again, we need to check the power supply to be sure it's really ok.

I've not heard of that. I'm guessing you weren't originally using this either? Do you have all the parts back in that were originally working for you?

The power supply has been changed but the problem persists. It was the first time I'd used the USB to PS2 adapter. I will say this, if I plug in a USB keyboard and press a key the system stops altogether.

Sigh, this is very frustrating!

Reply 6 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow that is super slow.... think my 286 boots quicker...
Sounds like something happened with that USB to PS2 adapter. It is possible that it messed up something in the Southbridge.....
Curious why you used an adapter when the board has both USB and PS2 ports (according to https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/soyo-sy-5ema) ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 7, by cookertron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-01-11, 02:39:

Curious why you used an adapter when the board has both USB and PS2 ports (according to https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/soyo-sy-5ema) ?

Because I have a PS2 mouse and a USB keyboard and didn't like the idea of them not matching.

I think I'm going to have to go blown capacitor hunting. Not ideal as my soldering skills are terrible 😔