VOGONS

First post, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I've been having problems with one of my floppy drives. I've never tested it before, and yesterday I thought it was the time to get it working nice! So I attached it to a computer, I put a formatted floppy disk from a drive I know that works, and used imd119 to see if it read everything fine... What I found was not good.

file.php?mode=view&id=154832

For some reason, it works great!!! Except when it doesn't. From time to time, it skips at 15, and I don't know why that happens. Have you guys ever encountered a similar problem? Even the Test RPM failed from time to time, if I wasn't lucky enough to get many reads with no errors in a row. The speed was 360RPM so that worked fine. I've cleaned the heads using isopropyl alcohol, everything looks pretty clean with no dirt or dust so... I tried adjusting the little motor behind, I've tried manually moving the head a little to the sides, and I get the same results. I'm running out of ideas, do you think this drive is dead?

The drive is a CHINON FR-506, it looks sturdy and nice.

EDIT: I managed to find the culprit that prevented me from reading disks! I'm not very well-versed in the name of the parts that make a floppy drive run, but I found out that moving what looked like some sort of laser a little bit to the back solved my issue.
file.php?mode=view&id=154867

HOWEVER, I still can't write. I can read disks I made with another drive, but I can't write to them. I don't have calibration disks or anything like that, so I'd be content if I can make these two drives work with each other. That'd be good enough for me. Does anyone have an idea of why this could be happening?

Attachments

Last edited by CapitanOdessa on 2023-01-12, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-01-12, 15:39:

I don't know if it matters, but why it's defined wrongly? (500KB DD)

I'm gonna be honest with you, I have no idea how it is supposed to be. I'm using a 1.2mb floppy In which I wrote an image of TurboC just to see if I could install stuff and test.

By the way, I found the thing that was causing this error! I'll edit the main post in case someone else needs it.

Reply 3 of 5, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2023-01-12, 15:39:

I don't know if it matters, but why it's defined wrongly? (500KB DD)

500K is correct, it refers to the transfer rate for 1.2MB HD floppies, that is 500Kbits/sec.

Reply 4 of 5, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

NVM guys, I killed it. I booted it up, one of the heads wasn't being recognised for some reason today so... I disassembled it, then assembled it again and poof! Magic smoke on the heads. I don't think they were in the best condition anyway. I like the looks of it, so I'll keep it around.

Reply 5 of 5, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CapitanOdessa wrote on 2023-01-13, 15:10:

NVM guys, I killed it. I booted it up, one of the heads wasn't being recognised for some reason today so... I disassembled it, then assembled it again and poof! Magic smoke on the heads. I don't think they were in the best condition anyway. I like the looks of it, so I'll keep it around.

May I ask how did you do that? Smoke the heads, that is. I have not worked on a CHINON FR-506 yet, but from the photos I found it uses modern heads with FFC connecting them to the PCB. And those FFCs are next to impossible to put in the wrong way around. Is it an older model with typical shielded cables and IDC-type connectors for the heads? If so, can you make some photos of the PCB and head connectors, without the metal covers in place? Might come useful for future reference to know how such older variant looks.