VOGONS

First post, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.

Im trying to use a Abit 5ALI61 motherboard to hot flash a chip for a different motherboard, a 486-GIO-VT2 that is missing its original bios rom.

I keep getting "The program file's part number does not match with your system" error when trying flash.

Honestly i expected this kind of message but is there no way to bypass it? I have already tried using the /py parameter and moving the program and file to the boot floppy, and im still getting the same message.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm maybe because is says "Unknown Flash", you might need to use the Flash tool version designed for the FIC board ROM version (Award v5.3 flasher iirc)..
Also are you sure your new bios chip is flashable ? You might have to go into the ABIT bios and turn off all shadowing, specifically bios......

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 15, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-01-14, 04:10:

Hmm maybe because is says "Unknown Flash", you might need to use the Flash tool version designed for the FIC board ROM version (Award v5.3 flasher iirc)

Possibly, Ill try that tonight.

Horun wrote on 2023-01-14, 04:10:

Also are you sure your new bios chip is flashable ? You might have to go into the ABIT bios and turn off all shadowing, specifically bios......

The original ABIT chip is a Winbond w29c011a-15, and the chip im trying flash for the FIC board is a MXIC 28f1000ppc-12c4, both flash memories.
I have not changed shadow settings in bios, so could that be it?

Reply 3 of 15, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a quick look at the datasheets and the original w29c011a supports 5V erase and programming, but the mx28f1000ppc needs a 12V supply. So it's possible that the motherboard can't write to the mx chip.

I haven't checked to see if there are other differences, but things like block sizes might cause problems.
Datasheets:
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … 29C011A-15.html
https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/data … PC-12C4-pdf.php

Reply 4 of 15, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my experience making hotflash, the awdflash version is the most problematic since it has to work with your motherboard and recognize the eeprom chip you are using. I have always achieved it after trying a lot of versions of awdflash until I found the right combination.
You can use the version of awdflash that your motherboard manufacturer provides but that version may not recognize the chip you are using.
Voltage isn't always an issue as long as you don't try to use a 3.3v chip on a board that only supports 5v or a 5v chip on a board that only supports 12v or isn't configured for 5v.
In short, my recommendation is the tedious task of trying different versions of awdflash (and there are many) until you find the right combination.
As a note, I always use a Biostar M6TBA motherboard for hotflash.
On this page you can download, I think all versions of awdflash. https://www.wimsbios.com/awardflasher.jsp#gsc.tab=0

Reply 5 of 15, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2023-01-14, 10:02:
Had a quick look at the datasheets and the original w29c011a supports 5V erase and programming, but the mx28f1000ppc needs a 12V […]
Show full quote

Had a quick look at the datasheets and the original w29c011a supports 5V erase and programming, but the mx28f1000ppc needs a 12V supply. So it's possible that the motherboard can't write to the mx chip.

I haven't checked to see if there are other differences, but things like block sizes might cause problems.
Datasheets:
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … 29C011A-15.html
https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/data … PC-12C4-pdf.php

Just checked Pin 1 (VPP) on the Acorp ROM socket, and it is at 5V. The datasheet for the MX chip states that pin 1 goes to 12v only when programming, so maybe?

Reply 6 of 15, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On boards with flash chip that requires 12V for programming, there is a exception: when flashing you move the jumper from 5V to 12V and program. Once done, move back to 5V for normal operation.
If the flash chip is 5V, leave the jumper at 5V as usual. But if doing hot swap flashing, and the chip to be programmed is 12V, during hot swap flash, move to 12V after the hot swap then flash 12V flash chip.

When done power down and put original chip back in and don't forget to move the jumper from 12V to 5V.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 15, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-01-14, 23:55:
On boards with flash chip that requires 12V for programming, there is a exception: when flashing you move the jumper from 5V […]
Show full quote

On boards with flash chip that requires 12V for programming, there is a exception: when flashing you move the jumper from 5V to 12V and program. Once done, move back to 5V for normal operation.
If the flash chip is 5V, leave the jumper at 5V as usual. But if doing hot swap flashing, and the chip to be programmed is 12V, during hot swap flash, move to 12V after the hot swap then flash 12V flash chip.

When done power down and put original chip back in and don't forget to move the jumper from 12V to 5V.

Cheers,

Maybe I'm very wrong on this, but don't boards that come with a 5V chip usually (I refrain from writing always) don't have such a jumper because they don't need it?

Reply 8 of 15, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-01-15, 10:13:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-01-14, 23:55:
On boards with flash chip that requires 12V for programming, there is a exception: when flashing you move the jumper from 5V […]
Show full quote

Cheers,

Maybe I'm very wrong on this, but don't boards that come with a 5V chip usually (I refrain from writing always) don't have such a jumper because they don't need it?

This one does have a spot for a jumper, but has traces hard wired for 5v. I have tried Eproms too like a 27c020 and M27c200l, still no luck. Guess that gives more credence of this being something to do with the AWDFlash version.

Reply 9 of 15, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been there done that three days ago. Just raise the vpp pin and solder 12v wire to some molex connector. I use uniflash since awdflash does not allow flashing a different bios version that the one found on the boot chip.

Attachments

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 10 of 15, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hot flashing using uniflash and flash rom. You can easily find then on hirens CD 8,7 and rescuesystemcd 3.3 and please check your floppy discs because usually they are damaged. You can alternatively write the bios roms to a CD.

Attachments

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 11 of 15, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
amijim wrote on 2023-01-18, 12:49:

Hot flashing using uniflash and flash rom. You can easily find then on hirens CD 8,7 and rescuesystemcd 3.3 and please check your floppy discs because usually they are damaged. You can alternatively write the bios roms to a CD.

Lifting the VPP pin and using Uniflash, It finally detected the chip!
But i have ran into another issue. The Flash rom i'm trying to use is 128K, while the bios bin file is only 64k... Is there a way to flash a larger rom chip with a smaller file? cause i keep getting an error in Uniflash and unfortunately i do not have another Flash ROM chip of the right capacity, only eproms.

Reply 12 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you can add the .bin file twice "binarily" to double it's size. Best to Use a Hexeditor and open the rom then at end insert same file and save with diff name.
Are you sure your board will work with a 128k eeprom ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 15, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-01-22, 22:45:

Are you sure your board will work with a 128k eeprom ?

The motherboard has 128k*8 silkscreened on it under the rom socket, so i believe so.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 15, by AshleyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After Concatenating the file and successfully flashing it, the FIC board Booted!

Thank you all for all the help <3

Attachments

Reply 15 of 15, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The re-jumpering to 12V for programming is documented in some motherboard manual, Asus is one of these on pentium boards, which I have knew as I had Asus pentium boards back in the day and current Asus with SiS chipset pentium board too. This depends on the flash storage IC programming voltage required.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.