VOGONS

First post, by mvm916

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get a new-old-stock PS/2 ball mouse (specifically a HP branded Logitech mouse) to work with my DOS 6.22/WfW computer (a DX4-100MHz system) via a serial-to-PS/2 adapter.

I am currently running a Microsoft basic serial ball mouse, but due to its age, it's quite flakey and doesn't always register keypresses.

I'm using CTMOUSE drivers and it identifies and loads the drivers to work in DOS, but Windows does not work with the Cute Mouse drivers. Setting Windows settings to "Mouse Systems Mouse" causes it to hang and/or blue screen.

How can I get the mouse to work on the DOS 6.22/WfW computer? Anybody have experience with this?

I apologize if this is a duplicate post.

Reply 1 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's Logitech, try using the Windows-provided Logitech mouse driver.
The Microsoft mouse driver may also work, but without the middle mouse button.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 5, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mvm916 wrote on 2023-01-17, 21:15:
I'm trying to get a new-old-stock PS/2 ball mouse (specifically a HP branded Logitech mouse) to work with my DOS 6.22/WfW comput […]
Show full quote

I'm trying to get a new-old-stock PS/2 ball mouse (specifically a HP branded Logitech mouse) to work with my DOS 6.22/WfW computer (a DX4-100MHz system) via a serial-to-PS/2 adapter.

I am currently running a Microsoft basic serial ball mouse, but due to its age, it's quite flakey and doesn't always register keypresses.

I'm using CTMOUSE drivers and it identifies and loads the drivers to work in DOS, but Windows does not work with the Cute Mouse drivers. Setting Windows settings to "Mouse Systems Mouse" causes it to hang and/or blue screen.

How can I get the mouse to work on the DOS 6.22/WfW computer? Anybody have experience with this?

I apologize if this is a duplicate post.

you could always solder new mouse button switches to it if you can find replacements. are they proprietary or just the common Omron/Kailh rectangular shaped mouse button switches.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or open the mouse and use "contact cleaner" to clean those stubborn switches...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 5, by mvm916

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly, I hadn't associated the mouse with a Logitech re-brand until I wrote this post...I only used it as a way to describe the mouse without having a picture (I'm posting at work after my shift). It looks pretty identical to a Logitech mouse, so trying a Logitech driver seems, well, logical!

Otherwise, I will try the hardware methods noted. I have broken down the old Microsoft Mouse, gave it a good cleaning and sprayed contact cleaner in the switches.