VOGONS

First post, by simon_e_hall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well last night I had a crazy thought that I put into action today, connecting a VGA card to a 8514/A and that to a MPEG card.

So I have connected a generic 1MB ET4000 via the feature connector to an ATI 8514/A Ultra, then in turn connected that via Passthrough to a RealMagic Maxima, so could have both better Windows 3.1 performance and MPEG on a 386 class machine.

Now initially I thought it did not work, and to save a long story of swapping cards and my Diamond SpeedStar 64 dying, in the end got it working, so have three video cards chained.

Now the question is, has anyone else done something similar?

Reply 2 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What? You don't wanna push your luck on a Socket 5/7 and add Voodoo2 and PowerVR too? 🤣

I have had a C-Cube mpeg one card in a 486 with VLB GL5429, watched a couple of VCDs and I think at one point I had it in a later build with a Cyrix 166, a PCI vid, probably a TGUI9680 and a PowerVR (Apocalypse 3Dx) but took it out in favour of using the slot for something else, because there wasn't a whole lotta use for MPEG1 accel anyway.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 3, by simon_e_hall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jskyboo wrote on 2023-01-21, 17:03:

Cool setup. You could also add either a MDA or Hercules card and get 4 video cards in the same 386 system. Just a crazy thought.

I do like the idea that!