VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How can i see if a pentium classic is supporting write back or write through?

I have looked for the specs on cpu-world.com but didnt find anything about it.

https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SX/SX963.html#specs

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To the best of my knowledge, all pentium 1s support write back and write through.

I’ve never heard otherwise. There is a pin for this on socket 5 and the overdrive socket 3s all supported it so far as I know and also had a pin for it. If any did not, maybe socket 4?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you view the s-Spec page on CPU-World, it only displays basic specs. Click on the part number for full specs. In your case, https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium/ ... 2100).html shows that it has WB cache. It can also work as WT.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, because i thought the cpu only can use only one of them.(like 486). Then setting on the motherboard wrong.. And then system unstable..

But this haven`t anything do with it at all.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 5 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every Pentium motherboard I've seen, from Socket 4 onwards, sets L1 as WB and in most cases there isn't even an option to change it in the BIOS. I don't think there are many reasons to run a Pentium with L1 WT.

Reply 6 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-01-23, 00:58:

I'm surprised that pentium has this WT or WB modes but thought they were WB only?

Cheers,

I may be wrong about the WT 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.