VOGONS

First post, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I scored an AM2 Crossfire capable mother board, model is M2R32-MVP, i think 580X chipset? Came with a Phenom 9950 quad core for $35 usd. It has this bug where when I turn it on from a cold boot, it wont post, but when I get it to post, it boots up with an "Overclock failed" error. Im not trying to overclock it, and Ive reset the bios, so it shouldnt be applying any overclock at all. Any auto overclocking setting I could find in bios ive set to manual and as default as I can set it. System Specs at time of posting are aforementioned motherboard and cpu, 2x2gb DDR2 800 in dual channel, Radeon HD 5850 for GPU, Silverstone 500w psu, 2x 250gb 7200rpm hdds in Raid 0.

Reply 1 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a lower power GPU to try it with? Also testing a lower power CPU would not go amiss. It is getting old enough to worry about whether the caps are done, making the vcore etc marginal.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 5, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-01-23, 04:00:

Got a lower power GPU to try it with? Also testing a lower power CPU would not go amiss. It is getting old enough to worry about whether the caps are done, making the vcore etc marginal.

yea, ive got a gt730, a few athlons. lower clocked phenom. Im low on thermal paste tho

Reply 3 of 5, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: Swapped in a Quadro FX 1700, and it booted straight to windows. Then I swapped the HD 5850 back into the machine... booted straight to windows with no error.... the only difference i can figure is when swapping the gpu, I shut off the power supply with its switch on the back. vs just a standard windows shutdown. Maybe the possible reseating of the card could have solved it somehow?

Tested the regular shutdown after reinstalling the 5850... booted straight to windows again. Now its makin a liar out of me 🤣

Reply 4 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weirdness, dirty contact or bad solder joint somewhere I guess. Hope it behaves better going forward anyhow.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 5, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-01-23, 18:45:

Weirdness, dirty contact or bad solder joint somewhere I guess. Hope it behaves better going forward anyhow.

Hopefully so, i got another HD 5850 otw for a crossfire setup when i get a better psu 🤣