VOGONS

Overdrive CPUs

Topic actions

First post, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own a DX2ODP66 and DX4ODP100. Which sockets can these safely be placed? Most places just refer to "Overdrive socket", but what exactly is an "Overdrive socket"?

Akumajō Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 1 of 4, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ODP overdrive chips have 169 pins - one more in inner corner then standard 168 pins. This prevents it to be inserted into wrong socket.

So if it fits into the socket, it's compatible. You should also set the CPU voltage to 5V.

ODPR overdrive chips have standard 168 pins and will fit into any 486 socket.

A bit more info here:
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today
487SX 169pin socket: any way to use a normal 486DX2 there?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 4, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-01-24, 09:22:
ODP overdrive chips have 169 pins - one more in inner corner then standard 168 pins. This prevents it to be inserted into wrong […]
Show full quote

ODP overdrive chips have 169 pins - one more in inner corner then standard 168 pins. This prevents it to be inserted into wrong socket.

So if it fits into the socket, it's compatible. You should also set the CPU voltage to 5V.

A bit more info here:

How are those configured though, other than using 5V instead of 3.3V? Does the motherboard need to support DX4 and everything else set as to where a normal 3.3V CPU is installed? I was trying to find a manual for this, like one that came with these overdrive CPUs when they were new and installed by the end consumer.

Akumajō Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 3 of 4, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For ODPR you just configure them as DX.
ODP basically are designed to be placed in the overdrive socket. The old main processor, 486 SX, remains in the mainboard but will be disabled.

I do not know how to run a single ODP without the SX.
Perhaps some ODP owner may explain that...

Reply 4 of 4, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tempus wrote on 2023-01-24, 18:07:
kixs wrote on 2023-01-24, 09:22:
ODP overdrive chips have 169 pins - one more in inner corner then standard 168 pins. This prevents it to be inserted into wrong […]
Show full quote

A bit more info here:

How are those configured though, other than using 5V instead of 3.3V? Does the motherboard need to support DX4 and everything else set as to where a normal 3.3V CPU is installed? I was trying to find a manual for this, like one that came with these overdrive CPUs when they were new and installed by the end consumer.

Hello,

such a vague discussion makes very little sense in my opinion.
Tell us which 486 mainboards you have.
Also I guess you have a ODPR type for both not the ODP.

Especially the 66MHz type will work in 99.99% of all 486 boards (which provide 33MHz bus).
Similar to the DX4-ODPR, maybe that one will work only in 98% of all boards.