VOGONS

First post, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello People of Vogons!

So some time ago I recieved these 3dfx cards. A sort of absolute gamble. I had some time during the weekend to test them (or see if they are even functional) and attempt small repairs.

file.php?mode=view&id=155837

The cards are:

Viewtop 3D Vulcan B3D (Voodoo rush)
- On visual inspecion it looks original and undamaged. This was the first card I installed into a pentium 3 base. It initializes and boots. The driver I installed clocks up the 2D chip messing up the image with artifacts. Modifing the registry settings and lowering the clock solved this. The card doesn't seem to work in Glide... yet.

DSCF8835.JPG
Filename
DSCF8835.JPG
File size
151.9 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Hercules Stingray 128/3D (Voodoo rush)
- Someone has glued a heatsink on the 2D chip. Seems like superglue. Did not attempted to tkae it off. Othervise it looks undamaged. Part numper is GB3930P REV A. No big white HERCULES mask on the back.
The card is the 6MB version. Probably can be upgraded to 8MB total.
But it doesn't post. The pc just beeps it out. No loose legs or broken traces. Resistance values check out. Might have to try on read it's rom bios. Worst case it's totaly dead.

Gainward Dragon 3000 (Voodoo 2)
-Has some missing components. Two of the cool anodized green heatsink are not on TMU0 and the FBI chip. C21 and c54 capacitors have been taken off. The solder pads look too clean. This could not have been done by physical damage.
I wonder if the card could work without these.
Also I suspect that RP22, RP19, RP23,RP24 resistor networks are not orignal. Othervise resistance values are measured good. So someone was trying to repair the card before.

DSCF8849.JPG
Filename
DSCF8849.JPG
File size
273.35 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Anyway. My bodge fix until I source the right value smd capacitors:

DSCF8843.JPG
Filename
DSCF8843.JPG
File size
295.66 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
DSCF8844.JPG
Filename
DSCF8844.JPG
File size
279.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
DSCF8842.JPG
Filename
DSCF8842.JPG
File size
812.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Continuing in next post.

Last edited by DAVE86 on 2023-01-24, 13:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To my suprise the card works and in glide also. I ran some benchmarks. The chips are getting hot though. I might try to get some green heatsinks in the future for this one.

Procomp G111 Voodoo 2
-Another experiment or was it used for parts? Half of the FBI memory is gone. No damaged pads. The card works though.

DSCF8853.JPG
Filename
DSCF8853.JPG
File size
520.31 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
DSCF8851.JPG
Filename
DSCF8851.JPG
File size
430.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Would be great to just add the missing ram and get a fully working card.

Provideo PV830 Voodoo 2
-Lots of missing passive components, bracket and the FBI is gone too. At least the pads are unharmed. Looks like this card was cannibalised for parts.

DSCF8854.JPG
Filename
DSCF8854.JPG
File size
844.54 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

More info on the progress soon.

Reply 2 of 11, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was looking for replacement capacitors for the Gainward card. This card has aluminum can 22uF 16V electrolytic capacitors where other brands used non polarized ceramic smd caps.
Took off one to see it's capacitance and esr values after 25 years. They don't seem to be worn.

DSCF8860.jpg
Filename
DSCF8860.jpg
File size
589.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

What I have in the same size are some chineesium VT series that have varying esr.

DSCF8857.jpg
Filename
DSCF8857.jpg
File size
565.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
DSCF8861.jpg
Filename
DSCF8861.jpg
File size
442.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Or some polymer that has lower capacitance and might have unnecessarily low esr.

DSCF8856.jpg
Filename
DSCF8856.jpg
File size
572.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'd like to have the card look as authentic as possible so I'll go with the 22uf VT caps probably.

Reply 3 of 11, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Gainward after replacing the capacitors.

DSCF8863.jpg
Filename
DSCF8863.jpg
File size
502.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
DSCF8864.jpg
Filename
DSCF8864.jpg
File size
691.29 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It still works, so it's a win.

Placed new 512k rams on the Procomp.

DSCF8867.jpg
Filename
DSCF8867.jpg
File size
731.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
DSCF8870.jpg
Filename
DSCF8870.jpg
File size
189.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Under DOS Mojo reports 4MB of FBI memory and all seem ok. In Windows there are issues with TMUs. Opening display properties hangs the system entirely.

DSCF8873.jpg
Filename
DSCF8873.jpg
File size
333.22 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'm curious what could be wrong. The card worked fine with only 2MB of FBI memory. I suspect that someone removed that 4 memory chips so that card would work thought somewhat compromied.

Reply 7 of 11, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Though I used new 512KB SOJ40 chips on the Gainward. I started to dissasamble the PV830 card since I wanted to test the rams on it.

I used a S3 Trio64V+ vga that has sockets for ram. I inspected and cleaned the chips and the sockets too. I used 3M Novec degreaser and flux remover.

DSCF8873.jpg
Filename
DSCF8873.jpg
File size
782.76 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The results were always the same. Some chips test good and others bad. This could have been caused by heat that previously damaged them. I know I couldn't have damaged them 😁
So it occurs that with the bad ram the image is corrupted or has artifacts or the S3 can't even address them and the pc just fails during POST.
Swapping between bank 0 and 1 or pairing good chips with bad ones on the card changes the pattern of the corruption but bad chips always mess up the image obviously.

Reply 8 of 11, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, love these bring-back-dead-stuff-to-life-threads 😀

Some thoughts:

If you want to remove that heatsink, it usually works reasonably well to weaken CA glue by heating it, and twist the heatsink off. Just be careful to avoid melting the solder joints.

It's said that acetone dissolves CA glue. In my experience, it doesn't. Heard the same about ethyl acetate, haven't tried it myself though. Graffiti removal solvents and label removal spray often smells like they mainly contain ethyl acetate, if you want something commonly available to try.

If you know how to handle them and can get hold of them, many chlorinated hydrocarbons are safe bets to dissolve CA glue.

I'd try to fix that bodge cap to the board somehow, perhaps some hot glue would do the trick. If it catches something when you handle the card, chances are that you rip the cap with copper traces off the PCB by accident as it is now 😀

Reply 9 of 11, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kaputnik wrote on 2023-02-01, 11:56:

Some thoughts:

If you want to remove that heatsink, it usually works reasonably well to weaken CA glue by heating it, and twist the heatsink off. Just be careful to avoid melting the solder joints.

Thanks for the tip, kaputnik! The heatsink will have to stay for now. First I want to see if the Rush works properly in 3D. I screwed up win98 by trying all kinds of glide and 3dfx drivers. Now whatever vga I'm trying to install it's stuck as generic video adapter in 16 colors. I'll restore windows form a 'fresh installment' backup and start from there.

I'd try to fix that bodge cap to the board somehow, perhaps some hot glue would do the trick. If it catches something when you handle the card, chances are that you rip the cap with copper traces off the PCB by accident as it is now 😀

I have replaced the bodged capacitors with proper smd ones here.

Reply 10 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DAVE86 wrote on 2023-02-01, 21:06:

Some thoughts:

Thanks for the tip, kaputnik! The heatsink will have to stay for now. First I want to see if the Rush works properly in 3D. I screwed up win98 by trying all kinds of glide and 3dfx drivers. Now whatever vga I'm trying to install it's stuck as generic video adapter in 16 colors. I'll restore windows form a 'fresh installment' backup and start from there.

One thing that helps a LOT with troubleshooting multiple cards in Windows 98 is to make multiple copies of a fresh Windows folder (just the folder). Then rename each one something like win_v3, win_rush, win_v2 etc. Have have the system always boot to the command prompt by editing the following line in msdos.sys:
[Options]
BootGUI=0

Now, when you start the computer it will give you a command prompt. You can simply type:
ren windows win_old
(now the original windows folder is stored as win_old)
ren win_rush windows
(now win_rush is the windows folder)
win
(boots to windows)

Now you can set up that Windows folder with Voodoo Rush drivers and software.

When you're done and want work on a Voodoo 2, just reboot:
ren windows win_rush
ren win_v2 windows
win

Done. 😀

And if you just need to reboot, you just type "win" at the prompt and it boots right up. It's a minor inconvenience.

I have about 20 Windows folders on my test bench for various devices and this works amazingly well. I have done a lot more steps to simplify the process (like a .bat file that runs at startup which identifies which folder is currently being used so I don't have to try to remember each time I boot the system up).

Obviously, installing things to Program Files or to C:\ will make them available to every Windows install, but I have had almost zero conflicts from this over the past several years since the majority of issues come from incompatible drivers, runtimes, registry settings, DirectX or other system files sitting in the Windows folder.

It's been a long time, so I can't remember how I copied the Windows folder the first time... I don't recommend doing it in DOS for various reasons, and I don't believe Windows 98 will let you copy the folder while the OS in use. I probably did it on another system the first time and I made sure to have 2-3 extra copies of the fresh Windows folder. Once you've got a fresh folder that isn't in use, you can copy and rename them as many times as you want on the Windows 98 machine. Oh, and make sure the systems are set to show hidden and system files or some things won't get copied.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11 of 11, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, Ozzuneoj! It's great. I was thinking to just use several drives. And some time ago I had win98 and xp set up on different partitions, so that was my second idea...