VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've had this empty lunchbox case sitting in my closet for a few years now.
I *have* a K6 AT motherboard that's one of the ones it's designed for; unfortunately I don't have the LCD compatible video card.
So I was thinking of replacing the LCD with a modern 10.4" LCD with a VGA driver board.

Then it occurred to me; could I put a modern microATX motherboard in that case, with a PCI-e video card? (I have such a motherboard I can use...)
Would it be possible to convert the AT power supply to ATX, or would I need to find an ATX power supply with dimensions matching the lunchbox's?

I just thought that since I can't use the native LCD as it is, why not put a system with modern power in the case, giving me a semi-portable system capable of running my modern tools (like Blender 3 and Unreal Engine 5).

I'd have to find some way to accommodate the ports on an ATX motherboard... I'd hate to cut a hunk out of the case, tho.
(maybe I could desolder them from the motherboard and wire them to come out the card slots?)

Is it worth trying, or should I just stick to getting it to work with the period-correct motherboard?

Reply 1 of 1, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't say I've ever heard of a lunchbox case... can you post pictures of it?

I did my first custom ITX PC (a desktop P4 in a modified Atari 2600) about 17 years ago and it was quite a project back then because options were so limited. These days the options are nearly endless if you need to cram a modern PC into something old\small\strange. It will just depend on the amount of cutting\fabricating that is required.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.