VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, I have a P3 Win98 build with Direct X7 installed. I have a Gravis GamePad, Interact ProPad with four face buttons, A Sidewinder 3d Pro I think it's called with the motion gyros that has USB and a DB15 adapter, a Retrobit USB Sega Genesis 6 button pad, and finally a PlayStation Classic USB controller.

The USB pads show up in Windows control panel under game controllers. The DB15 PADS DO NOT. if I add the DB15 pads inside there they just show not connected. Not sure if this is normal.

The controllers all will seem to work playing DOS games for the most part in a DOS window in 98. It's directX where I actually have issues. Motorcross madness was included with the sidewinder and works perfect with gamepads for the most part from limited testing. But games like Test Drive 4, Destruction Derby2, and Sega Rally 2 that I have tested so far don't seem to work with any of my controllers. Am I doing something wrong or is controller support, even though they all "support" controllers, just that dang spotty in earlier Windows games!?

Reply 1 of 1, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I figured out the problem. The Sidewinder CD installed drivers for both the 3D pro plus the Freestyle Pro that I actually have. The 3D pro was appearing as controller ID1 in the game controller settings of control panel and I didn't even know this was a thing. Once I changed it to the Freestyle as being number 1 it seems fixed! I also removed the 3D pro from the list entirely to be safe.