VOGONS

First post, by bostonvintage1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

As the VOGONS community has been so helpful to me in the past, I thought I'd share this issue I'm having with this motherboard pictured. It's a nice Gateway 486 JX30G 09-00189 motherboard. It was working just fine a couple hours ago, then I took a break for lunch and I come back to this beep code and no more video! I'm very confused as to what changed from the 40 minutes I spent away from the motherboard, and I can't seem to pinpoint the problem. I looked up beep codes for the Phoenix A486 BIOS, but couldn't seem to match any codes with my beeps. I attached the beeps as an audio file here as well. I don't understand how the motherboard just stopped working, and as of now my system is dead. I even stuck a post card in there to see what it said, and it came back with "02 --". How can I fix this problem and restore my board?

Thank you all so much in advance for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• Filename
    BEEPS.MP3
    File size
    617.14 KiB
    Downloads
    37 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • MOBO.jpg
    Filename
    MOBO.jpg
    File size
    1.63 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Have any questions related to Gateway 2000? I'm here to help - send a PM!

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably bad caps, and being SMT that makes it harder to figure out which ones. Are you sure the PSU is also not failing ?
added: did the batteries die ? I see it uses an external battery and may not boot up if they are dead....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by bostonvintage1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-02-04, 03:36:

Probably bad caps, and being SMT that makes it harder to figure out which ones. Are you sure the PSU is also not failing ?
added: did the batteries die ? I see it uses an external battery and may not boot up if they are dead....

Hi,

So sorry, just seeing this now! Thank you for your kind reply! I actually ended up spending weeks trying to revive this board back in February and it got to a point where it just wasn't worth the effort anymore. However, I was able to find a replacement motherboard, so everything worked out in the end. Thank you again!

Have any questions related to Gateway 2000? I'm here to help - send a PM!