VOGONS

First post, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So here's the story. I was working on this PC, and then I tried to put new ram it. It posted fine, but I hit the ram with my hand, and then it gave critical failure beep and froze the system. I eventually realized the ram wasn't fully seated in the slot, and me hitting it put it fully in. So I thought "oh, that's fine" and rebooted the system. Now, it won't boot any devices. BIOS works fine, but after the bios splash screen goes away and it's in the screen where it boots devices, it just gives me a blinking cursor instead of booting anything. How can I fix this? I bought another of the same motherboard to replace it, but I'd also like to fix the original one. Since it boots and the BIOS works, it's not completely dead, right?

Reply 3 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

how hard did you bump it exactly? either you cracked one of the joints/tracks, or reconnecting DIMM short circuited something
put the board on hard flat surface (for example edge of desk so graphic card bracket can freely hand down), just before turning it on press on chipset radiator with moderate force (few kilograms) and turn on while keeping the pressure - this will eliminate/confirm problem with BGA connectivity
you can also use microscope/loupe with good magnification and a flashlight at an angle to look over all the solder joints around memory slots
and measure ram supply voltage

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 7, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-02-06, 00:31:
how hard did you bump it exactly? either you cracked one of the joints/tracks, or reconnecting DIMM short circuited something pu […]
Show full quote

how hard did you bump it exactly? either you cracked one of the joints/tracks, or reconnecting DIMM short circuited something
put the board on hard flat surface (for example edge of desk so graphic card bracket can freely hand down), just before turning it on press on chipset radiator with moderate force (few kilograms) and turn on while keeping the pressure - this will eliminate/confirm problem with BGA connectivity
you can also use microscope/loupe with good magnification and a flashlight at an angle to look over all the solder joints around memory slots
and measure ram supply voltage

Very lightly, just enough to push the ram back in.

Reply 5 of 7, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zconnect wrote on 2023-02-05, 20:28:
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-02-05, 04:47:

all3 ram slots produce such behavior?

Yes

I don't want to be a downer but it seems that the north bridge got damaged. But check all the contacts in the slot you've installed the RAM and see if all of them are stuck separately.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 6 of 7, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2023-08-25, 19:01:
zconnect wrote on 2023-02-05, 20:28:
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-02-05, 04:47:

all3 ram slots produce such behavior?

Yes

I don't want to be a downer but it seems that the north bridge got damaged. But check all the contacts in the slot you've installed the RAM and see if all of them are stuck separately.

Yeah I assumed it got damaged, so I bought a new board a while ago. I just wanted to see if there was any use I could get out of this one.

Reply 7 of 7, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have seen that blinking cursor many times and most of the time its the booting drive/media.

Does the ram show up properly in the bios? Most of the time if the ram or slot is dead the PC wont even boot to bios without it reading the ram.
Is this the same booting drive/ media that your replacement board boots to? You said it wont boot to any devices.

Just asking a few basic questions.