VOGONS

Original Voodoo 5 6000 prototype for sale on eBay

Topic actions

First post, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I haven't seen one of these pop up in quite some time, so just wanted to let you know (in case some of y'all are drowning in cash 🤣 ) ... grabbing the popcorn and waiting to see what the final selling price will be. 😁 It's currently at $8100, but the auction will end in 7+ days.

UPDATE: The auction has ended, the card was sold for $15k. Adding some screenshots for future reference. 😀

Attachments

• voodoo5_6000_1.jpg
    Filename
    voodoo5_6000_1.jpg
    File size
    184.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • voodoo5_6000_2.jpg
    Filename
    voodoo5_6000_2.jpg
    File size
    351.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by bloodem on 2023-02-13, 06:53. Edited 2 times in total.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 1 of 311, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve wanted one since god knows when I first learned of the prototypes being in the wild, should have bought one 10 years ago when they were merely expensive, rather than bloody mental.

They’re definitely beyond my disposable income now, aside from winning the lottery anyway.

Reply 2 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Already 1 retracted bid for 10,000 so it’s possible there are a few shadow bidders waiting to snipe the shit out of it.

Last 30 seconds should be a blast to watch as the heavy hitters and oil barons join the match !

Reply 5 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyzzle wrote on 2023-02-06, 09:40:

This damn thing may go for $100k at this rate. How foolish! Can't believe people exist that will pay a year's salary of "normal" people money for one 20+ year-old video card.

we havent seen the Oil Barons join the fight yet, the truly rich guys will wait till the end and then just drop stupidly huge bids for it, then have it hand delivered to them in the UAE via their private lear jet.

For a late model prototype in fully restored working order .. one of the rare models that had all the SLI bugs worked out and was pretty much RTM ready .. to some its worth the crazy expense.

Reply 6 of 311, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This damn thing may go for $100k at this rate. How foolish! Can't believe people exist that will pay a year's salary of "normal" people money for one 20+ year-old video card.

100k a year salary???? in wich country??

Reply 7 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2023-02-06, 10:28:

100k a year salary???? in wich country??

Australia ..I work in heavy industry ..100k+ isn't unusual for a qualified worker and there are many more that earn considerably more than that. In many countries 100k isn't odd either if you have the qualifications, if however you have some arts degree or one of these bullshit liberal degrees then ..well you done studied the wrong damn thing.

I mean, how else do you support as hobby that can be as expensive as this one without the missus killing you?

Reply 8 of 311, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slight point on the salaries: to us Europeans salaries upwards of USD 100k sound impressive - but there are huge differences in taxation, pensions and benefits, which mean that you need a higher gross salary in say US to obtain the same standard of living as in Europe. So you can probably compare USD 100k to EUR 70k. Oh, and TrashPanda's probably referring to AUD, and AUD 100k would be closer to EUR 65k anyway.

Still, whichever way you dice it, it's an obscene amount of money for a bit of PCB - but really these things should be compared to fine art. Not because they are works of art as such. but because their value is equally disconnected from the intrinsic value of the object. The wood, canvas, oils and pigments of one of van Gogh's Sunflowers are worth peanuts, but the picture... slightly more.

Reply 9 of 311, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think someone with an annual wage of $100K will buy this when most people have less than $20K in savings. The average collector is crazy but not THAT crazy.
$100K is not a big deal in most Western countries if you have a valuable degree but these people usually live larger so cost of living is much more for them. They can't just shell out this much without risking the family budget. The chance of wifey finding your replacement after you blew 20% of your money on a fcking GPU is quite high.
The buyer is going to be someone with tons of disposable cash. He could be from any country, even one with $10K average wages because the top 1% is still filthy rich no matter where you live.

Reply 10 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2023-02-06, 11:09:

Slight point on the salaries: to us Europeans salaries upwards of USD 100k sound impressive - but there are huge differences in taxation, pensions and benefits, which mean that you need a higher gross salary in say US to obtain the same standard of living as in Europe. So you can probably compare USD 100k to EUR 70k. Oh, and TrashPanda's probably referring to AUD, and AUD 100k would be closer to EUR 65k anyway.

Still, whichever way you dice it, it's an obscene amount of money for a bit of PCB - but really these things should be compared to fine art. Not because they are works of art as such. but because their value is equally disconnected from the intrinsic value of the object. The wood, canvas, oils and pigments of one of van Gogh's Sunflowers are worth peanuts, but the picture... slightly more.

Spot on with that conversion, the exchange rates have certainly taken a hit of late, 100k USD is 93k Euro so pretty dang close to parity but the EU has better standard of living for the most part.

Reply 11 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mandrew wrote on 2023-02-06, 11:21:

I don't think someone with an annual wage of $100K will buy this when most people have less than $20K in savings. The average collector is crazy but not THAT crazy.
$100K is not a big deal in most Western countries if you have a valuable degree but these people usually live larger so cost of living is much more for them. They can't just shell out this much without risking the family budget. The chance of wifey finding your replacement after you blew 20% of your money on a fcking GPU is quite high.
The buyer is going to be someone with tons of disposable cash. He could be from any country, even one with $10K average wages because the top 1% is still filthy rich no matter where you live.

There are a lot of Oil Barons out of the UAE that are huge collectors (Yup many are also right into tech like us here) and something like this card would be something they would drop cash on .. simply because none else would have one.

Reply 12 of 311, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to think that, even as a billionaire, I would never spend this much money on an object that I would literally just use once... and then keep it as a trophy in my big ass billionaire's storage space (or even in my personal bank?).
But, truthfully, I'm probably just fooling myself... I mean, jeez, even as my normal self (i.e.: very-far-from-being-rich person), I still spent a pretty hefty amount of money on retro hardware (which I mostly keep stashed in my small, poor person's closet 😁 ). So... there's no reason to think I would be able to control myself when seeing a Voodoo 5 6000 for sale on eBay. 😁

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 14 of 311, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-02-06, 11:09:

Very well said, sir !
It's a fascinating piece of engineering and i totally get that.

This is also what motivates me in my collection.
I'm not only collecting top gaming hardware but also hardware that failed to become successful :
Bad early 3D chips (Laguna3D, Trident, Virge, i740, SiS...), weird storage solutions (Microdrive, WD Raptor, iRam), Killer NICs, Ageia Physx
A lot of people are also interested by ES/QS CPUs
It's the same thing...

Regarding the amount, yes, it's a lot, but well... if it's your dream, Why not.
We probably all know people who own A ["boat", "vintage car", "pool", "holiday cottage", "motorbike"] (pick one). And everyone is fine with that.
I'm currently training to get a private pilot licence (PPL). And for a similar amount of money, i prefer to fly than to have a V5 6000. The top bidder on the V5 6000 could probably argue that it's a stupid amount of money to kill yourself in a plane crash...

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 15 of 311, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The most i shelled for was a diamond monster sound MX300 (134$), i work in the field of CG and 3d printing but as a startup even if the income is good i can't justify something like that and to be honest i usually don't collect to keep the object as a trophy but to use it actively (i used every single PC i have in rotation without stopping for 1 year before i had to stop streaming), so i care more about consumer retro hardware that can be found for relatively cheap or normal prices and that was commonly used at the time.

This is an extreme item for an extreme person and for extreme uses, there you go, it may sound weird but it kinda explains the absurdity of that price.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 16 of 311, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like I need to set up a printing press! No other way I can even afford a V5 5500 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 17 of 311, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently at $12,500 USD, it is way more expensive than the auctions around a real AdLib Gold sound card. 😳

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 18 of 311, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's purely because Adlib Gold is not hyped to hell like 3dfx.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 19 of 311, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-02-06, 14:35:

That's purely because Adlib Gold is not hyped to hell like 3dfx.

Good point.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS