VOGONS

Reply 120 of 311, by IBMFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does this mean that the crazy rich oil tycoon types never really existed in the first place and this was snagged by someone with a higher-than-average paying day job like someone in IT or a Youtuber like Linus?

Reply 121 of 311, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yawn, yeah that was only 2.5 x 6000 ...

Too round a number, ppl will ask "What's a working V5 6000 go for?" and you'll say "Fifteen thousand even." and they'll go "Even? You just pulled that out your arse."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 122 of 311, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I guess that's that. I was expecting that to go for alot more than that to be honest. I'm just hoping that it goes to a good home that can appreciate what that card is.

Reply 123 of 311, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Woohoo I got it!

Jk

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 125 of 311, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't even got the joke.

Well, that's all folks ...

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 127 of 311, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, kinda' surprised that there was no last minute price battle, but... yeah. 😁
I've updated the first post, added some screenshots for posterity. 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 128 of 311, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
IBMFan wrote on 2023-02-13, 04:04:

Does this mean that the crazy rich oil tycoon types never really existed in the first place and this was snagged by someone with a higher-than-average paying day job like someone in IT or a Youtuber like Linus?

Everything is worth what the purchaser is prepared to pay. Conclusion must be that those with enough money to pay a lot, lot more were uninterested and somehow thought a new yacht (or indeed island) represented a better investment. It also shows we may be nearing peak Voodoo.

Still, seeing it go for a price I could theoretically have afforded doesn't make me regret not having tried. This purchaser has other things on his mind with his savings. You know, the boring stuff like childrens' eduation, somewhere nice to retire to and even less inspirational, a buffer against unforseen circumstances. Which a V5-6000 on eBay isn't.

Reply 129 of 311, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-02-13, 08:41:

Still, seeing it go for a price I could theoretically have afforded doesn't make me regret not having tried. This purchaser has other things on his mind with his savings. You know, the boring stuff like childrens' eduation, somewhere nice to retire to and even less inspirational, a buffer against unforseen circumstances. Which a V5-6000 on eBay isn't.

Hear, hear! 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155

Reply 130 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am surprised this thread wasn't taken down. How much did this thread assist with price inflation for this item?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 131 of 311, by IBMFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-02-13, 08:41:

This purchaser has other things on his mind with his savings. You know, the boring stuff like childrens' eduation, somewhere nice to retire to and even less inspirational, a buffer against unforseen circumstances. Which a V5-6000 on eBay isn't.

Anybody willing to pay 15k for this card didn't risk his budget at all, I'm 100% sure. It's like a 5 months worth of savings with a $150K job. The national average is what, $60K? And in the IT sector it's more like an average of $90K. This $15K was barely the price of an average used car.
My post meant to point out that people earlier speculated about 6 figure prices but it was barely a 5 figure so the "richest buy everything up" theory failed.
On the investment side it's safe to say that this card in it's working condition will keep it's value in the future. Why wouldn't it?
I'm sure the seller is mighty disappointed as well.
But I agree that the hype is going to die down eventually.

Reply 133 of 311, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IBMFan wrote on 2023-02-13, 09:43:

Anybody willing to pay 15k for this card didn't risk his budget at all, I'm 100% sure. It's like a 5 months worth of savings with a $150K job. The national average is what, $60K? And in the IT sector it's more like an average of $90K. This $15K was barely the price of an average used car.

Call me crazy, but spending 5 months worth of savings on an item like this is definitely part of the "risking one's budget" category (at least in my book).
Now, on the other hand, if you're the kind of person who can afford to pay $10k during a night out clubbing (without even realizing or caring how much money you actually spent), then... yeah, this card is clearly for you and it won't hurt your budget at all. 😀
Now, it's very possible that the person who actually purchased it did in fact risk his budget... but we'll never know. 😀

feipoa wrote on 2023-02-13, 08:59:

I am surprised this thread wasn't taken down. How much did this thread assist with price inflation for this item?

I am willing to bet that it didn't assist at all. But if it makes you feel any better, you can certainly continue to blame me. 😁

Last edited by bloodem on 2023-02-13, 11:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 135 of 311, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bloodem wrote on 2023-02-13, 10:42:

Call me crazy, but spending 5 months worth of savings on an item like this is definitely part of the "risking one's budget" category (at least in my book).
Now, on the other hand, if you're the kind of person who can afford to pay $10k during a night out clubbing (without even realizing or carying how much money you actually spent), then... yeah, this card is clearly for you and it won't hurt your budget at all. 😀
Now, it's very possible that the person who actually purchased it did in fact risk his budget... but we'll never know. 😀

This can totally fall into the "one in a lifetime opportunity" category. As such, money is not even a subject.

I mean, if you have some savings, and you always dreamt of a V5 6000, i totally understand that an ordinary person would be capable of spending that amount of money on it.
When the same amount of money is spent on a classic car, a painter, a comics book collection, no one cares.

I find more "normal" someone spending 15k on a rare (unique ?) piece of computer history than on an Ape NFT.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 136 of 311, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-02-13, 11:04:
This can totally fall into the "one in a lifetime opportunity" category. As such, money is not even a subject. […]
Show full quote

This can totally fall into the "one in a lifetime opportunity" category. As such, money is not even a subject.

I mean, if you have some savings, and you always dreamt of a V5 6000, i totally understand that an ordinary person would be capable of spending that amount of money on it.
When the same amount of money is spent on a classic car, a painter, a comics book collection, no one cares.

I find more "normal" someone spending 15k on a rare (unique ?) piece of computer history than on an Ape NFT.

Those are perfectly valid points, but they don't really contradict my previous point. Spending 5 months worth of savings on this card, does not qualify as "spending your money wisely", no matter how much you've always dreamt of a V5 6000. 😁 And it's the same with classic cars & co. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that it's a 'good' or a 'bad' thing (many of us have spent quite a bit of money on things that would be totally worthless for the general public), but looking at it objectively, it's definitely something that your financial literacy teacher would disapprove of. 😁

Reply 137 of 311, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
acl wrote on 2023-02-13, 11:04:
bloodem wrote on 2023-02-13, 10:42:

Now, on the other hand, if you're the kind of person who can afford to pay $10k during a night out clubbing (without even realizing or carying how much money you actually spent), then... yeah, this card is clearly for you and it won't hurt your budget at all. 😀

Money is not an object - so long as you actually have USD 15k available to burn...

I can assure you if I spent this amount of money on any of those things without very considerable consultations up front, I would get into relationship-threatening discussions over it too- we're financially comfortable enough, precisely because we don't go around blowing this kind of money on stuff.

It's exactly the same: something with zero practical utility and no value to anyone not deeply into the relevant scene. Also, while it could be considered an investment opportunity, the market is far too small and volatile to be considered such primarily - just look at the factor 10 difference between expectation (within this community of potentially interested and pretty well-informed parties) and reality of this sale.

Reply 138 of 311, by IBMFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2023-02-13, 11:26:

Spending 5 months worth of savings on this card, does not qualify as "spending your money wisely"

Not even as an investment? If I had $30K to blow on my hobby a year I would've sniped this one. A hobby is not just about rational purchases, there is passion too. Sometimes we spend a lot when we see something we get really excited about. It's not always smart but what is these days?

Reply 139 of 311, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-02-13, 11:38:

It's exactly the same: something with zero practical utility and no value to anyone not deeply into the relevant scene. Also, while it could be considered an investment opportunity, the market is far too small and volatile to be considered such primarily - just look at the factor 10 difference between expectation (within this community of potentially interested and pretty well-informed parties) and reality of this sale.

Yes, good point.
As an outsider, i don't consider NFTs valuable. Just like an NFT enthusiast could consider a V5 6K like junk.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)