VOGONS

Reply 240 of 311, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bloodem wrote on 2023-05-12, 14:24:
Sorry, but my K6-2 500 to Thunderbird 1.33 GHz upgrade still wins in terms of performance and stability jump (especially if your […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2023-05-12, 10:55:

As far as main rigs are concerned, I went from a Katmai 550MHz to an Athlon64 2.2GHz and the performance differences are almost incomparable 😋
Things went so fast back then..

Sorry, but my K6-2 500 to Thunderbird 1.33 GHz upgrade still wins in terms of performance and stability jump (especially if your Katmai was running on a 440BX motherboard). 😜
In your case, the performance jump is greater than mine, but in terms of stability... you were probably in a much better position. 😁
At that time, I had a FastFame Ali Aladdin V board and it's by far the worst board I've ever owned in my life. I really wish I could get my hands on it again... trying to make that platform run stable (with the knowledge I have now) would be my greatest achievement! 😀

It was a BX 😀
It wasn't very stable at first though, not till I got rid of 98FE and installed ME and even then it had some issues iirc, mostly because in all the years I never reinstalled ME and I was new to ME. It was my 1st PC, we all did stupid stuff with our first PC, right? 😋
It started as a Deschutes 350 with 128MB RAM and ended up with the Katmai and 512MB RAM.

I still have that system, I never got rid of it. It just got slowly phased out as I started building other rigs.

FastFame? Never heard of them 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 241 of 311, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-05-12, 12:44:

Speaking of TNT2 M64/Vanta, 3dfx had answer in form of ~$55 Velocity 100. Much better proposition for ss7 users than tnt/tnt2, especially after unlocking second TMU. The problem at that point was STB acquisition - Everyone and their dog were manufacturing cheap noname M64 cards in Taiwan, while 3dfx couldnt ramp up Velocity output without sacrificing 2000/3000 numbers with their sole Mexico facility. I havent seen Velocity being offered at all in Europe/Poland.

That's kinda what I meant when I said that 3dfx themselves stepped into their own coffin with one foot, NV only needed to do the final push and they did this excellently (unfortunately, to some degree, for us end users at the time).

Velocity always seemed rather uncommon here in The Netherlands as well. Usually the 3dfx cards that people tended to have, were the regular Voodoo cards (for V3 it was mostly the lower end ones like 2000/3000 AGP with the 3500 and any PCI V3 being more uncommon).

I would have liked to see a bit more of Rampage though.

Report spammers here!

Reply 242 of 311, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All my ISA cards still work and they would be easy to fix if they some how stopped working.
It’s NOT a secret that PCI video cards were plagued with poor design, bad SMB soldering and manufacturing process.
Cheap components like capacitors. That why so many PCI video cards stopped working or developed artifacting problems.

I would NOT spend allot of money on poorly designed video cards that work.
And definitely NOT buy non working PCI video cards.

Reply 243 of 311, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-05-12, 13:33:

As product out-of-the-box, Velocity was worse than M64/Vanta.

Probably true, but did anyone ever use it without unlocking the second TMU?
3dfx didn't exactly make it hard to do.

Reply 244 of 311, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2023-05-12, 17:24:
All my ISA cards still work and they would be easy to fix if they some how stopped working. It’s NOT a secret that PCI video car […]
Show full quote

All my ISA cards still work and they would be easy to fix if they some how stopped working.
It’s NOT a secret that PCI video cards were plagued with poor design, bad SMB soldering and manufacturing process.
Cheap components like capacitors. That why so many PCI video cards stopped working or developed artifacting problems.

good thing they're agp cards then

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 245 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2023-05-13, 04:41:
All my ISA cards still work and they would be easy to fix if they some how stopped working. It’s NOT a secret that PCI video car […]
Show full quote

Im trying to figure out Dx33s reasoning here, seems they might be a bit confused and need a better language library perhaps, certainly someone should upgrade the chat bot with better technical information.

Of all the GPUs I have PCI cards tend to fair better than either PCIe or AGP cards for longevity and reliability, but AGP was during the capacitor and ROHS plague so its understandable that there is a section of cards from that era that are unreliable or dead. (Radeon 9700 and 9800 cards along with Geforce 7000, 8000 and 9000 cards seem to be the worst, I guess you can throw the GTX 400 cards in here too simply because FERMI killed a lot of cards from crazy heat output)

As for components ...most of the dead GPUs I see are from memory ICs going bad or SMD components getting knocked off, I dont normally see dead capacitors unless its a Plague era GPU and almost never see a dead GPU die unless its been killed by heat or shit ROHS solder.

Reply 246 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-05-12, 19:38:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-05-12, 13:33:

As product out-of-the-box, Velocity was worse than M64/Vanta.

Probably true, but did anyone ever use it without unlocking the second TMU?
3dfx didn't exactly make it hard to do.

I dont think there were too many in use outside of OEM systems, I have one in the collection for curiosity and its one of the rarer 16Mb Velocity models. (Quite literally a V3 2000 with one TMU disabled in software and lower memory/core clocks, the memory ICs are also slower)

Reply 247 of 311, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-05-13, 09:03:
Im trying to figure out Dx33s reasoning here, seems they might be a bit confused and need a better language library perhaps, cer […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote on 2023-05-13, 04:41:
Show full quote

Im trying to figure out Dx33s reasoning here, seems they might be a bit confused and need a better language library perhaps, certainly someone should upgrade the chat bot with better technical information.

Of all the GPUs I have PCI cards tend to fair better than either PCIe or AGP cards for longevity and reliability, but AGP was during the capacitor and ROHS plague so its understandable that there is a section of cards from that era that are unreliable or dead. (Radeon 9700 and 9800 cards along with Geforce 7000, 8000 and 9000 cards seem to be the worst, I guess you can throw the GTX 400 cards in here too simply because FERMI killed a lot of cards from crazy heat output)

As for components ...most of the dead GPUs I see are from memory ICs going bad or SMD components getting knocked off, I dont normally see dead capacitors unless its a Plague era GPU and almost never see a dead GPU die unless its been killed by heat or shit ROHS solder.

I blocked that user a while ago. At some point he asked if anyone had a manual for some ASUS board he had, and when I googled, ASUS had the manual for that exact board on their own website, so why even ask here anyway? He didn't even bother to check the-very-first place to look...
Silver platter something something?
Also he never seemed to actually read and/or take in the advice he got, so at some point I just didn't want to be confronted with this anymore.

The early PCI and AGP cards fair relatively well with one of the reasons (as I could gather) that before that, we had VLB and ISA (and to a lesser extend EISA and MCA) and all these cards had longer PCBs and more complex 'chip systems' (for lack of better wording).
When PCI (and a bit later AGP) made its entry, chip systems got more and more simplified, more stuff got stuffed inside fewer chips, miniaturisation, more SOC-like instead of tons of very simple chips, and also the much smaller PCBs and lower total card weight meant that there was simply less that could get damaged (including less likely to bend and more force needed to bend/flex the PCB, causing solder joints to be less likely to break). The cards were really quite small and even kinda sturdy.
Once the graphics cards started getting more elaborate cooling solutions and started becoming physically larger again, I see it as some sort of growing pain, the failed cooler design of the early high-end Radeon 9000 series, too small or too heavy coolers for cards that became increasingly more hot, it was in a way an exciting era filled with tons of design and manufacturing mistakes (the ROHS solder kinda being one of them).

Fast forward to 2023. If one compares graphics cards from 2023 to 2013 ones visually, the design hasn't changed all that much. It's (superficially) the same large heatsinks (add in a heatpipe or 2) with 2 or 3 fans with a shroud covering the entirety of the PCB.

If I were to take a guess as to why cards break these days (apart from having been used for crypto farming) is because manufacturers cheapened out on the parts used, maybe some form of planned obsolescence (like for instance a cooling solution or poor memory cooling that is really made to last to juuuust after the warranty period expires).

I have seen my fair share of older (PCI and AGP era) PCBs damaged by mistreatment.

Report spammers here!

Reply 248 of 311, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the same, from my experience, at the time it was rare for a PCI or AGP graphics card to fail, the usual failures started in the case of ATI with the high-end models of the 9000 series and in the case of Nvidia, with the high-end models of the FX series.
Nowadays, just take a look at this forum to know that the Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 graphics cards are prone to certain problems, but they are more than 20 years old and there is no way to know how many hours of use, so it's not that rare either.
In the case of ATI and Matrox, before the models that I already mentioned, I think the manufacturing quality and care in design was superior. In the case of ATI, even low-end models did not use electrolytic capacitors.
I think that ATI was it love with the tantalum and MLCC capacitors. Just take a look at this RAGE LT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage_series … _LT_Pro_AGP.png).
But in the case of S3, SIS and others, also Nvidia even before the FX series, it was easy to find models of very poor quality that it is normal for them to fail today, but even with poor quality it was not usual for them to fail back then.
For this reason, even today it is rare to see a graphics card from ATI or Matrox, which was manufactured before 2003, fail.
and few Nvidia graphics cards made before 2003 I have seen fail, even though the quality of many TNT/TNT2 and GF MX, etc... is very doubtful.
I have always been surprised by the amount of time that a Geforce 4 or a Radeon 8500 can last with the fan stopped and at very high temperatures, I have seen so many that it seems to me a curious detail and very few fail definitively, which is the most curious thing.

Reply 249 of 311, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-05-08, 17:23:
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2023-05-08, 15:43:

Yes, and that's why I would like to see a Vogons trade forum, amongst people who actually care about using the stuff. But I perfectly understand why it doesn't happen, as human nature will still find its way there.

If Amibay if anything to go by, we'd still see fairly high prices for hardware in a VOGONS marketplace.

And therein lies the rub. Even if someone feels that a piece of hardware is overhyped and overpriced, they aren't going to list something for $50 if they think they can get $300 for it.

The problem with Amibay is that the mods are very rarely on there. When starting out, I waited for weeks and weeks for posts to be approved.

I gave up after a couple months because I could ever post anything at all because I could never get any posts approved because, when you first join, every single post has to be approved by a mod until you have a certain post count.

I would have been waiting years to actually get my psut count up to whatever it needed to be.

Completely worthless forum when no new members can actually do anything at all.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 250 of 311, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"The problem with Amibay is that the mods are very rarely on there. When starting out, I waited for weeks and weeks for posts to be approved.

I gave up after a couple months because I could ever post anything at all because I could never get any posts approved because, when you first join, every single post has to be approved by a mod until you have a certain post count.

I would have been waiting years to actually get my psut count up to whatever it needed to be.

Completely worthless forum when no new members can actually do anything at all. "

I don't agree with this, all what you've said doesn't represent my Amibay experience... Yeah at the beginning is a bit rough for a new user but patience is key. Since there is money involved you'll have to understand that the staff has strict rules and enforce them.

Reply 251 of 311, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-05-13, 15:33:

The problem with Amibay is that the mods are very rarely on there. When starting out, I waited for weeks and weeks for posts to be approved.

🤣 yes had some issues with Amibay too. Also is in line with my complaint about VCF forum, is exact same with any new members. Edit: Sorry for the rant but all true 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 252 of 311, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VCF used to have a stand alone for sale website.