VOGONS

Reply 81 of 311, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the money that I spent at the time on Steam I gave it to Steam and I have never bought anything from there again since about 2019, games that I bought and worked on XP and were bought with the fruit of my labor no longer work on XP because Steam didn't feel like maintaining an official client for XP.
From my point of view, this was a complete robbery.
I didn't bother researching methods to keep using Steam on XP, for that it's easier to find the games you pay for on the internet the way we all understand.
So in my case the developers can follow the current line, so they save me the expense of buying new games.
At least GOG still offers the possibility to download your games, and the games that work on XP can be installed on XP with ought much trouble.

Reply 82 of 311, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2023-02-08, 14:40:

That fact that remote processing is inevitable is one of the reasons I keep as up to date a PC as possible and collect vintage hardware as well. You can have my personal computing when you pry it from my cold dead basement.

"I think there is a world market for about five computers."

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 83 of 311, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2023-02-08, 20:56:
Shagittarius wrote on 2023-02-08, 14:40:

That fact that remote processing is inevitable is one of the reasons I keep as up to date a PC as possible and collect vintage hardware as well. You can have my personal computing when you pry it from my cold dead basement.

"I think there is a world market for about five computers."

I'm sure most of us here own more than that by ourselves 😀 I've actually got 9 which are hooked up and ready to go not even counting the stored PCs.

Reply 84 of 311, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah yes but your newest 'computers' will just be dumb terminals, with all processing and storage occurring remotely, in one of Mr. Watson's "five computers".

(One will likely be operated by Apple, another by Microsoft, the other three probably by various Asian players.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 85 of 311, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2023-02-08, 21:05:

Ah yes but your newest 'computers' will just be dumb terminals, with all processing and storage occurring remotely, in one of Mr. Watson's "five computers".

(One will likely be operated by Apple, another by Microsoft, the other three probably by various Asian players.)

I'm pretty sure he meant that there was only a very small market he expected ever. He obviously was wrong, but its an interesting twist what you are putting on it. It still wont be 5 computers, but maybe 5 corps?

Reply 86 of 311, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can imagine a time when owning an actual computer (as opposed to a terminal) carries a social or even legal stigma.

Why would you need that? Are you some kind of terrorist?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 87 of 311, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like not having any 'social' media account?

"Oh he/she/apache-helicopter must be a $you-name-it"

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 90 of 311, by underthebridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly, the ludicrous amount of money that's going to be spent on this is not even what concerns me. I just hope it goes to someone who will truly value and respect it, and hopefully even document it! Like exactly what the listing says: "I'm wanting to pass it on to someone that will truly view it as such and get that warm and special feeling for it. I wish to pass the card to someone that will care for it for years to come and preserve the history and significance this card holds in the world of 3D. " I wish there was a way to qualify the buyer but unfortunately no such system exists on ebay.
It would be a shame if this goes to some trust fund baby who's primary goal is to just be part of the "exclusivity" club and/or spoil themself with a trophy, but dump it in the closet for example.

Reply 91 of 311, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$14,600 more than my year salary!! thank god i dont like much voodoo cards, or i will be tempted to bid jaja

The value of something is proportional to how much rare is, good for seller, god for buyer this kind of hardware, everybody is happy

Reply 93 of 311, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The current going price of $14,600 equals out to about $2.09 cents per 3dMark.

I would like to offer my Voodoo 5 5500 AGP for the same price per 3Dmark and it can be yours for only :

Voodoo5500_AGP.jpg
Filename
Voodoo5500_AGP.jpg
File size
227.07 KiB
Views
File comment
11,559.79 USD
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Keep in mind if you run the broken merlin drivers you're probably getting an even better deal!

The way this 3DMark calculates score means that its an average framerate of about 70 on the V6000 vs my avg of about 55 on the V5500. Seriously I paid $275.00 for my V5, for an extra 15FPS that's a huge markup, worse than NVidia!

Reply 94 of 311, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I'm following this, even told my friends about this. Curious to see for how much this will go.
I'm also curious as to what sort of person ends up buying this card.

Vipachei wrote on 2023-02-08, 18:34:
bloodem wrote on 2023-02-08, 18:27:

Yes, many people in the world will only be able to afford the "$1000 rig" through enormous sacrifice (plus a 36-60 month bank loan; ask me how I know! )
For these people, paying $50 for a game (which is actually more than the monthly payment for the aforementioned $1000 rig) is simply not possible.

So now we came to this and crying a river for poor gamers in poverty who sacrificed their lives to buy the rig but suddenly can't afford a game for fraction of the cost.
Also promoting all this on Vogons that's an actively anti-piracy forum with people routinely buying $50 parts built in 1990.Yeah,enough said and my point stands.Devs are fed up with thieves and the world is going to move in the "u cant steal stuff stored on my server" direction because of this.

And instead of that, we're getting people's accounts being hacked and stripped or sold, gold/othercurrency mining/botting and scummy FOMO, multilayered currencies and microtransactions and elaborate 3D advertisements stuffed with psychological tricks to get as many people addicted as they pose as proper videogames! 😁

I am sure there is something to be said about any era of gaming.

RandomStranger wrote on 2023-02-08, 19:30:

Vipachei, did you actually just register to shill for DRM?

Superficially it may appear to be the case. Course we don't know for sure but it's not exactly off to a great start 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 95 of 311, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just thinking, I just bought one of the cheapest dx7 cards on eBay, would be hilarious if I can get more than 7000 score on 3DMark2000 out of it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.