VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the day, I rebuilt couple compact flip up cases by bending metal on PSU and put power socket out using machined metal thickwall tube as spacers. to make room for full sized AT motherboards and drilled new holes for mounting. Worked out in the end. Yet, I wanted to do better job of doing this modifications to ATX cases to take standard baby AT boards by putting in new screw holes accurately.

Is there a smart approaches to this locating the holes accurately this time?

I'll base this on board mounting datahsheet for details.

PS: Do not suggest getting AT case. They are sucky in quality and built in razor shaver. 😀 And difficult to get, ship that is costly and always in wrong form factor and drive bays layout issues also hits parts of the motherboards particularly Pentium boards with tall components somewhere. Trust me, I worked with them back in the day at few PC shops.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 3, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe not the answer you want to hear: as long as there's one single fitting screw hole I wouldn't to anything further. The board is held in place by the cards anyway and for all other holes in the board I'd use the old plastic spacers.

Reply 2 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, I've usually found 3 holes lining up and for all the rest the plastic spacers with the latching button shaved.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-02-06, 02:41:

Yah, I've usually found 3 holes lining up and for all the rest the plastic spacers with the latching button shaved.

Yes have done that many times, cut the nub off the button of the plastic "slide in" spacers 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun