VOGONS

First post, by Wurm&Zwang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought an ASUS P2B-F for my first Pentium III build. For some reason I can't get it to work with a P3 667mHz CPU though (I only get a black screen. The system doesn't seem to POST). The board seems to be working though (I can POST with a Pentium II).
Unfortunately the manual doesn't mention this exact processor, but ASUS' support page lists this processor as being compatible with this board.
While browsing the archive to check if someone else had this problem I found out some people are using this board with way more powerful Pentium IIIs, so I really don't get why I can't get this CPU to work.

Is there anyone else who had this issue?

Kind regards,
Wurm und Zwang

Reply 2 of 9, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the CPU you have is one with a 133 MHz FSB and you've got the AGP divider set to 1:1 (instead of 2:3), many video cards will fail to POST. Actually, even if the AGP divider is set to 2:3, many video cards will fail to post regardless.

Just a heads up.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 3 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PIII 667 is fsb 133. Any PIII that is factor of 50MHz like 450 500, 550, 600 is fsb of 100. You need these for your P2B-F. Try PIII 600 512K or 500MHz.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Wurm&Zwang wrote on 2023-02-06, 19:41:

but ASUS' support page lists this processor as being compatible with this board.

According to This Page there are Asus P2B-F versions with and without a PIII Coppermine ready voltage regulator.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PIII-667 can boot with 100 MHz FSB, reducing the CPU clock to 500 MHz. However, support for Coppermine CPUs depends on the revision of the ASUS P2B-F board that you have.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 7 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the P3-667EB (it helps to add the letters that say what kind of beast it is exactly) a slot model, or a socketed model inserted via a Slocket adapter? In the latter case you may have voltage jumpers available that would let you set the voltage to 1.8V which would probably let the board POST.

Also, is the CPU known good? It could just be a dead CPU...

But as already stated, give us the board revision (something like "1.06" silkscreened somewhere) and the BIOS version you see when booting with a P2. That will tell us the capabilities of your specific board and options to get that CPU working.

Reply 9 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
insanitor wrote on 2023-02-09, 11:12:

I had that board. When it came out, the fastest CPU was the p3 500mhz cpu

The P3B-F is a well-known board with a relatively long lifetime with multiple hardware revisions. The first ones could offer voltages down to 1.8V only, so limited to P3 Katmai without modification or slockets, the last ones could run a Tualatin natively - at least with the right BIOS. That's why exact revision and BIOS version are relevant.