VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hear many sound card can handle only 16 instrument via midi output (on joy port or wave header)
But Yamaha DB50XG can more thanks to the XG specifications.
What sound cards can enable the full potential for this daughter card?
Thanks every helping to fibd this out

Last edited by envagyok on 2023-02-06, 22:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DB50XG can only do 16x MIDI channels since it only has single MIDI link, only external devices with more than one MIDI input can do more channels. But this is not the problem, every channel can play many notes at the same time, up to maximum polyphony of the entire card, which is 32 for DB50XG, beyond which old notes get dropped as new ones come in. By comparison, Roland SS55mk1 has 24 note polyphony and SC55mk2 and SCB55 have 28. All still have the 16 channel limit but that comes from MIDI itself. Only some later things like MU100 with 2 inputs can do actual 32 channels but this is irrelevant to anything but music production software which is capable of utilizing two MIDI outputs. Games don't work this way, nor does any normal sound card.

So the best card comes down to stuff like general MPU401 compatibility, sound quality etc.

Orpheus would be a good choice, as my own Yamaha YMF71x based sound card (but this one won't be available for a while longer).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 10, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2023-02-06, 22:19:

... only external devices with more than one MIDI input can do more channels.

Everything that Tildo said is true except the above statement that is only partly. Some soft synths (e.g. S-YXG50) and even the Dreamblaster X2/X3 Waveblaster compatible boards have a special capability that enables them to emulate more than 1 port. Namely they support the '0xF5 nn' Midi message (where nn means the port number) to switch between independent emulated ports real-time. Maybe the DB50XG also supports this message?
More info:

2 ports of 16 channels are provided for a total of 32 channels. MIDI Message “F5 nn” is used to switch between the two ports
(nn=1 or 2).

http://serdaco.com/downloads/X2/X2_Documentat … L_MIDISPECS.PDF

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 3 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is interesting, I never knew of this feature. Thänk you ~

Reply 5 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is SCB55 that has reversed stereo on revision 00 cards, 01 cards have it fixed. The common LabWay made YMF71x cards do have the channels swapped on WB connector.

Reply 7 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
envagyok wrote on 2023-02-07, 19:53:
And what is the best choice from soundcards this era for db50xg? Soundblaster 16? Or AWE32? Or something else? […]
Show full quote

And what is the best choice from soundcards this era for db50xg?
Soundblaster 16?
Or AWE32?
Or something else?

All Creative SB16-based cards (including AWE32 and 64, and the Vibras) have MIDI bugs making them less than ideal:

- MIDI playback slowdowns when playing at same time as 16b DA audio (all SB16-based cards without exception)
- two kinds of hanging note bugs (severity differs per model, only oldest CT17xx and newest AWE64 variants don't have any)

Mediavision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 suffers from the same hanging note issues, it's been hypothesized (given Creative's known shady business practices) that this is no coincidence.

So not one of them. Pretty much any other card that offers hardware MPU-401 UART would be fine as far as MIDI is concerned, I'd suggest choosing based on desired non-MIDI features (DA standard compatibility, FM synth type etc). I like Aztech 3rd gen cards a lot for this purpose, I have one next to an AWE64 Gold (and GUS) in my late DOS system to have best of both worlds, but OPTi 929/930 and Crystal CS4232 offer the same, as do OPTi 931, ESS 1xxx and later Crystal CS423x, but with non-Yamaha FM synths. You could also go for CMI8330 or ALS100 for combination of SB16 compatibility without MIDI bugs if you just want a single card.

Reply 8 of 10, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IMHO, the best card for using wavetable daughtercards is a Roland MPU-401 AT. It's specifically designed for that purpose. You'll have no MIDI bugs to worry about and it also provides intelligent mode MPU-401 support if you want hook up external MIDI devices like an MT-32.

That said, MPU-401 AT cards are rare and tend to command a premium price.

You'd also still need to pair with another sound card for digital audio and/or FM synthesis. But at that point, any card will do.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards