VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a 3COM 3c509b NIC that I got running in a 486 VLB motherboard (MS-4132).
I got it in a pretty rough physical condition, but after cleaning it and removing some rust with vinegar I got it working fine.
I used it for a couple of days to transfer files via ftp, and even got a ROM chip with XTIDE working to detect my SD card, but somewhere along the way the card stopped working.
The indicator light turns on for a split second on power on, but that's it. The light stays off and the card is not detected by the config software and does not boot the XTIDE ROM.
I tried cleaning it again with soap and vinegar, and baked it in a low temp oven (>50c) for few minutes to dry it, and it came back to life! but after few hours of tinkering with the computer it died again, seemingly between power cycles of the computer, and baking it again did not help.

I suspect a faulty solder joint somewhere, but after inspecting the board I could not find any.
The main chip has some bent pins, but after thoroughly inspecting it with a multi-meter I concluded that there are no shorts there.
The L1 inductor(?) felt a bit loose, but there is continuity on the pads, so I guess it is ok?
I also tried to reflow the solder on the voltage regulator (V41) and the MOSFET (Q41) to no avail...

I have a multi-meter and an oscilloscope, what can I do to further diagnose the card?

Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you make some high-res pictures of both sides?

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2 of 7, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2023-02-08, 13:15:

Can you make some high-res pictures of both sides?

Sure!

Attachments

• IMG_7765.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_7765.jpg
    File size
    1.21 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_7764.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_7764.jpg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 7, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just for the "fun" of it, I now cleaned the card again with soap and a toothbrush, rinsed it, and put it in the oven for 30 min on low heat (>50c).
And now it is working again....
If this is indeed a cold solder joint, shouldn't such low temp not make a change?

Reply 5 of 7, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

considering how tin/pins and some traces are corroded it just need some reflow and continuity check. i'm even surprised your rom worked when i saw a so bad socket 😁
but yes, that's why it work again after the oven. 50°C are enough to get some dilation

edit : stop using vinegar, it's only for cleaning battery leakage.
except this condition, you'll simply take the risk to ruin the card more than it is due to acidity.

Reply 7 of 7, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went over all the ISA connectors and verified that there is continuity to the chip or other point on the board, and all seemed ok.
I think I'm gonna give up on this card.. I already ordered some replacement, and even got another card, an Intel 82595 that I had around, working without issues. Even got XTIDE working super easily thanks to this thread: Intel S82595FX and 3com 3C905B XTIDE Boot Problem