VOGONS

First post, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could me with some information about the Supermicro P6DGE Rev 3.0

Does anybody know if the SBLINK solder pads on the board are for SB-Link and if so, what is the pinout? I'd be willing to try to trace the traces once I receive the board. It's currently in shipping. I understand that I'll probably have to rig up an unconventional connector to make it work since it's not the standard layout. I've attached a picture of the pads. In the manual, it is just labelled SBL.

m57971383580_7.jpg
Filename
m57971383580_7.jpg
File size
212.58 KiB
Views
File comment
SBLINK Pads on PCB
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Also, can I run the 1GHz 100fsb coppermine on this board? I'm reading that I need a terminator card if I only want to only run one CPU. But those are hard to find. And there isn't much documentation even with the way back machine. From the blurry pictures of the VRM, it seems to have the HIP6004BCB.

For dual coppermines I was planning on using 2x SL5QVs but wasn't sure about slockets. I have one ABIT Slocket !!! which I can mod for dual coppermines. As well as an MS6905 Ver 1.1 Rev A. I saw an ASUS S370-L Rev 1.1 for sale but wasn't sure if I could mod that to do dual. In the case of this board not having a user-selectable voltage, is the voltage clamp a necessity for protection?

I also have a Powerleap IP3/T Rev 2.0 that I can put a 1.26ghz P3-S @ 950mhz. For the second P3-S, I would have to use a PL-370/T Rev 1.0 which apparently works in dual on the MS6905 Ver 1.1 Rev A. according to http://www9.plala.or.jp/j-fuji/rv226/smp/geta.htm

Reply 1 of 11, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stevogamer wrote on 2023-02-12, 05:48:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could me with some information about the Supermicro P6DGE Rev 3.0

Does anybody know if the SBLINK solder pads on the board are for SB-Link and if so, what is the pinout? I'd be willing to try to trace the traces once I receive the board. It's currently in shipping. I understand that I'll probably have to rig up an unconventional connector to make it work since it's not the standard layout. I've attached a picture of the pads. In the manual, it is just labelled SBL.

m57971383580_7.jpg

Also, can I run the 1GHz 100fsb coppermine on this board? I'm reading that I need a terminator card if I only want to only run one CPU. But those are hard to find. And there isn't much documentation even with the way back machine. From the blurry pictures of the VRM, it seems to have the HIP6004BCB.

For dual coppermines I was planning on using 2x SL5QVs but wasn't sure about slockets. I have one ABIT Slocket !!! which I can mod for dual coppermines. As well as an MS6905 Ver 1.1 Rev A. I saw an ASUS S370-L Rev 1.1 for sale but wasn't sure if I could mod that to do dual. In the case of this board not having a user-selectable voltage, is the voltage clamp a necessity for protection?

I also have a Powerleap IP3/T Rev 2.0 that I can put a 1.26ghz P3-S @ 950mhz. For the second P3-S, I would have to use a PL-370/T Rev 1.0 which apparently works in dual on the MS6905 Ver 1.1 Rev A. according to http://www9.plala.or.jp/j-fuji/rv226/smp/geta.htm

Must be an old manual - my P6DG family manual clearly says SBLINK for all the different models (I have a P6DGU and a P6DBU with the same solder pads). SM boards tended to share common elements, so I suspect this pinout from the P6DGH will work...

SM SBLINK Connector.jpg
Filename
SM SBLINK Connector.jpg
File size
88.52 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Processor-wise, I never had much luck with dual slockets (ABIT & MSI with 2 x SL5QVs) on my boards, but they're fine with dual Slot 1 coppermines (100 & 133MHz versions - there's even a BIOS switch to allow the 133s to run at the full 1GHz). VRM-wise you're good with the HIP6004BCB - this link has more info on that and terminator cards for single coppermine use... https://web.archive.org/web/20030202061308/ht … s/Processor.htm

Reply 2 of 11, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only dual slotkets I got to work in my P6DGS are a pair of Asus S370-DL. I never tried mixing and matching that many different slotkets only using matched sets.

I think the terminator I have used in that board is just a generic one I picked off of ebay cheap, I would need to double check that.

{edit} Interesting I just checked my board and it has Cherry CS5155 voltage controller and doesnt seem to have any problems running dual 1 GHz, should I be worried about it?

eIrnwcB.jpg

Reply 3 of 11, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grem Five wrote on 2023-02-12, 12:25:
Only dual slotkets I got to work in my P6DGS are a pair of Asus S370-DL. I never tried mixing and matching that many different s […]
Show full quote

Only dual slotkets I got to work in my P6DGS are a pair of Asus S370-DL. I never tried mixing and matching that many different slotkets only using matched sets.

I think the terminator I have used in that board is just a generic one I picked off of ebay cheap, I would need to double check that.

{edit} Interesting I just checked my board and it has Cherry CS5155 voltage controller and doesnt seem to have any problems running dual 1 GHz, should I be worried about it?

eIrnwcB.jpg

From my understanding, you should be okay. Since the VCore is 1.7v/1.75v many of the older controller chips couldn't go below 1.8v since that was the 8.2 spec. The current slew rate for the faster coppermines is slightly beyond VRM 8.2 spec (I suspect the FC-PGA 240 A/micro second is a typo in the 8.4 specs since slot 1 SC242 is 20 A/micro second). I'd just make sure the FETs aren't getting too hot since the 1GHz at peak load is 20.2A if you actually get to full load.

That's my best guess 😅 my background is in civil engineering so hopefully someone more qualified can answer that question better. I've been trying to understand VRM's for a long time but they're tough.
I also assume the VTT Generator used matters as well as the FET operating current spec.

And I was looking at getting just a random generic terminator but wasn't sure.

Reply 4 of 11, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stevogamer wrote on 2023-02-12, 16:09:
From my understanding, you should be okay. Since the 1.7v/1.75v. The current slew rate for the faster coppermines is slightly be […]
Show full quote
Only dual slotkets I got to work in my P6DGS are a pair of Asus S370-DL. I never tried mixing and matching that many different s […]
Show full quote

eIrnwcB.jpg

From my understanding, you should be okay. Since the 1.7v/1.75v. The current slew rate for the faster coppermines is slightly beyond VRM 8.2 spec (I suspect the FC-PGA 240 A/micro second is a typo in the 8.4 specs and slot 1 SC242 is 20 A/micro second). I'd just make sure the FETs aren't getting too hot since the 1GHz at peak load is 20.2A if you actually get to full load.

That's my best guess 😅 my background is in civil engineering so hopefully someone more qualified can answer that question better. I've been trying to understand VRM's for a long time but they're tough.
I also assume the VTT Generator used matters as well as the FET operating current spec.

Actually I just checked my P6DGS and it doesnt require a terminator to run a single cpu, I'm guessing I mixed it up with my dual slot 1 440FX system.

I dont know if your board will require one or not.

Your questions gave me a good reason to go back and take a closer look as I had acquired a few 1.1 GHz coppermines I had not tried in the system yet.

Reply 5 of 11, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grem Five wrote on 2023-02-12, 16:14:
Actually I just checked my P6DGS and it doesnt require a terminator to run a single cpu, I'm guessing I mixed it up with my dual […]
Show full quote
Stevogamer wrote on 2023-02-12, 16:09:
From my understanding, you should be okay. Since the 1.7v/1.75v. The current slew rate for the faster coppermines is slightly be […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

eIrnwcB.jpg

From my understanding, you should be okay. Since the 1.7v/1.75v. The current slew rate for the faster coppermines is slightly beyond VRM 8.2 spec (I suspect the FC-PGA 240 A/micro second is a typo in the 8.4 specs and slot 1 SC242 is 20 A/micro second). I'd just make sure the FETs aren't getting too hot since the 1GHz at peak load is 20.2A if you actually get to full load.

Actually I just checked my P6DGS and it doesnt require a terminator to run a single cpu, I'm guessing I mixed it up with my dual slot 1 440FX system.

I dont know if your board will require one or not.

Your questions gave me a good reason to go back and take a closer look as I had acquired a few 1.1 GHz coppermines I had not tried in the system yet.

Oh that's pretty neat. I stayed away from the 1.1ghz P3 coppermines since they're hard to find (I have a celeron though which I haven't dared to stick into any of my slot 1 boards yet ahaha). Just have to keep in mind that the 1.1GHz P3's will run up to 22.6A for peak load. The VRM on that board may not be able to handle that much current and current switching speed at peak loading.

Edit: It should be noted that if anybody has had success running a Tualatin long term on that board, the 1.1ghz cpus should be okay since the Tualatins used more current than the coppermines. Although longevity might be questionable.

Reply 6 of 11, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess I will do some temp testing with appropriate cpus for my board as these little guys are running extremely extremely hot. I have some slot 1 600s and slot 1 800s to do temp testing with.

gLeSmorh.jpg

Thank you and PC Hoarder Patrol for pointing out something I should keep an eye on

Reply 7 of 11, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stevogamer wrote on 2023-02-12, 05:48:

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know if the SBLINK solder pads on the board are for SB-Link and if so, what is the pinout?

I've seen this "extended" SBLink connection before on an ESS Solo IIRC. Pay attention to only these pins, and it should function like any other SBLink:

sblink.jpg
Filename
sblink.jpg
File size
177.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 8 of 11, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you to PC Hoarder Patrol for sending that diagram over. Hopefully, I can rebuild the SB-Link connector with that.

133mhz would be nice, been hesitant on the 1ghz 100fsb slot 1's. I guess is there a setting in the bios or is it jumper on the board?
I honestly haven't really pushed my 440BX boards past 100fsb in a long time since my original BH6 started having AGP card failures left and right after running at only 112 for years (probably was just bad caps on the cards but didn't think of it at the time).

Grem Five there should be another 2 fets to monitor for the second slot if you end up running a 2nd card as well.

As for mockingbird's comment: That's interesting. I've only seen the ESS Solo-1 with blank wavetable headers. I've rebuilt the SB-Links on my ESS Solo-1 and YMF744 cards before though. They were just the normal 6-pin headers.

Edit: The reason I watch the VRMs is that I know people have blown their FETs, chokes, and inductors in the past by pushing them too far. So I'm just a bit more cautious on these older boards.

Reply 9 of 11, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stevogamer wrote on 2023-02-12, 16:47:

Grem Five there should be another 2 fets to monitor for the second slot if you end up running a 2nd card as well.

Edit: The reason I watch the VRMs is that I know people have blown their FETs, chokes, and inductors in the past by pushing them too far. So I'm just a bit more cautious on these older boards.

Oh yeah I didnt picture the other 2 on the 2nd slot but they were just as hot as I was running both processors.

Reply 10 of 11, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stevogamer wrote on 2023-02-12, 16:47:
Thank you to PC Hoarder Patrol for sending that diagram over. Hopefully, I can rebuild the SB-Link connector with that. […]
Show full quote

Thank you to PC Hoarder Patrol for sending that diagram over. Hopefully, I can rebuild the SB-Link connector with that.

133mhz would be nice, been hesitant on the 1ghz 100fsb slot 1's. I guess is there a setting in the bios or is it jumper on the board?
I honestly haven't really pushed my 440BX boards past 100fsb in a long time since my original BH6 started having AGP card failures left and right after running at only 112 for years (probably was just bad caps on the cards but didn't think of it at the time).

As for mockingbird's comment: That's interesting. I've only seen the ESS Solo-1 with blank wavetable headers. I've rebuilt the SB-Links on my ESS Solo-1 and YMF744 cards before though. They were just the normal 6-pin headers.

Assuming your board has it, the 133MHz fsb setting is in the WinBIOS - a nondescript option called 'Mode' which can be either...

Mode 0 - 100Mhz
Mode 1 - 100Mhz
Mode 2 - 106Mhz
Mode 3 - 112Mhz
Mode 4 - 83 Mhz
Mode 5 - 133Mhz

SM didn't oficially support its use, saying it was a manufacturing setting, but user posts online don't seem to have hit any snags by doing so!

If you don't already have it, the latest BIOS for your board is here - https://www.supermicro.com/support/bios/BIOS_ZIP/dgeb21.zip

Reply 11 of 11, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Grem Five, I was just making sure those weren't missed 😀 at one point I thought maybe those mini heatsinks for ram might work. But not really sure if they'd stay stuck on. Not sure what thermal adhesive would work as a long term solution.

Thank you PC Hoarder Patrol again. That's awesome. I only saw posts online saying people in the past had trouble being stuck on 100mhz. I'll look out for that feature.