VOGONS

First post, by mscdex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is anyone aware of an extension ribbon cable solution for EISA or PISA slots?

I'm working on building a case from scratch for my poor, homeless LPX motherboard and was wondering about the feasibility of re-orienting my riser backplane to be horizontal instead of vertical. Currently you can still buy bare EISA slots for a reasonable price, so that would help with one side of the equation for an extension cable, but I have no experience designing PCBs that would be needed on both ends. Because of the orientation of the riser backplane, the cable would need to be long-ish, maybe at least 23cm long or so? Not sure if that'd be too long for the PISA bus, even with 80 conductor cabling.

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PISA ? Sir, you almost got me a heart attack. My people failed at PISA test back then, you know. 😁
https://www.oecd.org/about/impact/germany-pisa-shock.htm

Anyway, I like the idea. I'd love to see an extension box to house EISA/PISA cards.
One of my MediaGX based systems has PISA slots, I think.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

short answer : it won't be so easy.
PISA use 188 contacts... if you plan to make travel signals/clock with more than 20cm of ribbon cable with a passive extender, you'll go into troubles for sure.
if you don't want to face noise/crosstalk issues, you'll have to mostly double the number of wire, seprarating each signals with at least one ground for ensuring sheilding.
and separate signals and power lines.