VOGONS

First post, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found an old 1/2 height Tandon TM252 MFM drive and an 8 bit controller. It's a venerable member of the generation of drives that fit "Drive Type 1" in the bios.

I was trying to get it to work on a Formosa Industrial UB-320SAI motherboard.

The motherboard didn't seem to get along with the 8 bit controller so I pulled out a WD 1006V-MM2.

Still didn't work. The drive would spin up fine and flash a light, but then it would give a sad grunt, and the mobo would throw a disk error.

The drive sat around for a month. Or three. Couldn't bring my self to throw it out. Didn't know what to do next.

Today I started poking at it again. I noticed that the actuator arm was visible through a hole by the motor and the "sad grunt" corresponded with a slight twitch in the arm.

Photo Feb 14 2023, 12 00 08 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Feb 14 2023, 12 00 08 PM.jpg
File size
260.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I powered down, moved the drive arm a little with a flat head screw driver and when I powered it on, the drive came back to life! Yay!!

Pretty sure changing controllers caused any old data to be unreadable, but I was so excited to finally able to use those low level format routines in the BIOS for the first time in my life that I didn't care. Later I kind of wished later that I had slowed up a bit, just to see what was there, but whatever. That time has passed. Interleave testing!! OH boy. I remember people talking about that when I was a teenager. If I ever did these steps before, I've long forgotten.

Anyway, the drive is all formatted, error checked and ready to go now.

I'd like to use CF cards to ferry data to the device because floppy are cumbersome.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make an IDE drive work along side an MFM drive? Is there a formula to follow or do I just have to find an IDE controller that is kind?

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2023-02-14, 17:21:

I'd like to use CF cards to ferry data to the device because floppy are cumbersome.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make an IDE drive work along side an MFM drive? Is there a formula to follow or do I just have to find an IDE controller that is kind?

Normally, the XT IDE Universal BIOS can co-exist with a real MFM/RLL controller card.
It worked at least in my XT PC with a WD controller and an XT CF Lite card.

However, it may depend on which option ROM starts first in memory.
It should be the MFM/RLL controller BIOS, then XUB, afaik.
That's the default constellation, also, I believe.

A special case might be if you're running an 8-Bit MFM/RLL controller card in an AT class PC.
The option ROM on the 8-Bit card will then take full controll over the boot process, afaik.

I did such an experiment with an old Pentium PC years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irtDxYman88

It has to do how the memory (BIOS parameters, i/o etc) is organized, I guess.
The controller BIOS isn't detected as a HDD BIOS by the PC/AT BIOS,
it just runs the controller BIOS after finishing POST as if it was any other program, say, XUB.

-> If the MFM/RLL controller was a 16-Bit ISA model, it likely wouldn't use its own BIOS.
Rather, it would rely on the PC/AT BIOS and its HDD table stored in CMOS (remember type 47 ?).

So maybe with an 8-Bit card you can't use the on-board IDE controller for booting from an IDE HDD.
Maybe you can still access the HDD, however. Not sure if DOS still sees the HDD parameters of the PC/AT BIOS.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are at least two ways:

- MFM drive connected to XT-style controller (8-bit, with its own BIOS)
- IDE drive connected to regular Primary IDE controller, but it can't be controlled by the main BIOS, so there must be no hard drives in the CMOS Setup - instead, use XUB

or

- MFM drive connected to AT-style controller (16-bit, without BIOS), using the same address/IRQ as Primary IDE, so make sure to remove/disable the Primary IDE
- IDE drive connected to Secondary IDE controller
Both drives must be entered in the CMOS Setup, of course no autodetection for the MFM one, must use CHS translation, PIO mode 0, and disable any other IDE-specific options like "IDE block mode"

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 9, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I can work with that info.

Did I lose the data on the MFM drive when I switched from the 8 bit controller (from an early 16kb 5 slot 5150 PC) to the 16 bit WD controller ?
The drive had not likely been powered on in 20 years.

Reply 4 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2023-02-14, 19:25:

Did I lose the data on the MFM drive when I switched from the 8 bit controller (from an early 16kb 5 slot 5150 PC) to the 16 bit WD controller ?

No, replacing the controller doesn't affect the data.
However, as various controllers use various low-level formats, re-formatting may be necessary, and that's when the old data is gone.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 5 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2023-02-14, 19:02:
There are at least two ways: […]
Show full quote

There are at least two ways:

- MFM drive connected to XT-style controller (8-bit, with its own BIOS)
- IDE drive connected to regular Primary IDE controller, but it can't be controlled by the main BIOS, so there must be no hard drives in the CMOS Setup - instead, use XUB

or

- MFM drive connected to AT-style controller (16-bit, without BIOS), using the same address/IRQ as Primary IDE, so make sure to remove/disable the Primary IDE
Both drives must be entered in the CMOS Setup, of course no autodetection for the MFM one, must use CHS translation, PIO mode 0, and disable any other IDE-specific options like "IDE block mode"

+1 to all this

Reply 6 of 9, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2023-02-14, 19:02:

For some reason this never worked for me. Depending on the IDE card, BIOS would either complain about HDC failure or would not boot even though both HDDs had system on them.
In the end I had to put SCSI card with it's own BIOS to get another disk alongside MFM for backup and surface testing. I'm not sure if the IDE cards I have are the problem, or the BIOS on the mobos I've tried is to blame (I only tried 2 mobos before I gave up and went SCSI). I also tried XTIDE (ROM in network card) but that didn't work properly either. Can't remember the details now, I think the IDE HDD was detected but then failed to read/boot anyway.

I suspect the IDE card because I could not get the MFM to work even if I had no IDE HDD connected at all, and the card was set to IDE disabled (tried both primary and secondary).

Reply 7 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deunan wrote on 2023-02-14, 23:57:

I suspect the IDE card

Hint: don't use a card, use onboard IDE.
With onboard IDE, you can be pretty sure the Secondary channel uses different I/O address AND different IRQ than the Primary.
And the BIOS is sure to properly operate the Secondary.

Reply 9 of 9, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I need a Pentium mobo to run MFM along IDE? You see, I wanted to backup and test that MFM in the original 286 it was in - yes, in the end I did take it out since I decided to clean the case and mobo properly, but it was a lot of work (everything has to come out, and even some panels of the case must be removed). So that's why I prefer to use SCSI, it actually works in target system.

But it's good to know. If I ever get another MFM drive to test I will know what mobo to pick for that.