VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I build a 486 vlb pc with tekram dc-680c vlb ide cache controller.
How can i use with a hdd, and a 100mb ide iomega zip drive?
Tekram isn't see the zip drive, only hdd.

Or maybe better choose scsi vlb cobtroller with scsi zip drive and cd reader?

Reply 2 of 7, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
envagyok wrote on 2023-02-22, 21:33:
I build a 486 vlb pc with tekram dc-680c vlb ide cache controller. How can i use with a hdd, and a 100mb ide iomega zip drive? T […]
Show full quote

I build a 486 vlb pc with tekram dc-680c vlb ide cache controller.
How can i use with a hdd, and a 100mb ide iomega zip drive?
Tekram isn't see the zip drive, only hdd.

Or maybe better choose scsi vlb cobtroller with scsi zip drive and cd reader?

DC-680C do not support ATAPI protocol - so, no ZIP support.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 3 of 7, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although, I seem to recall that there was an earlier IDE Zip100 drive that predated ATAPI by a few years, though whether or not they're easy to find, I can't say.

Model number for these is Z100iDE, they appear as a fixed disk to the computer they're connected to, which had caveats of its own (for instance if the host computer's (or IDE extension card's) BIOS doesn't support hotswappable IDE drives, you may have to reboot the computer every time you swap disks.

Not ideal but if you're just looking to use that Zip drive as a boot drive, it'll work transparently, but not so much if you want to shuttle files around on Zip disks.

If finding a Z100iDE isn't an option and you only have a ATAPI Zip drive, you can try and find a Tekram controller whose model number ends in CD, that indicates that the controller is ATAPI-capable. For instance, the DC-680CD.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 5 of 7, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The former 2 are usually the original design passive-ish IDE cards, aren't them?
If that's the case, no problem - won't be bootable but it's not like your card would have been 😀

Actually, you should check whether they'll conflict with your good IDE controller - hopefully the "minor" card can be set to secondary address and interrupt while the VLB one doesn't act as one!

Reply 6 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
envagyok wrote on 2023-02-23, 19:04:
Thanks everyone. Maybe take an sb16 with cd rom connector can help? Or a cd controller card? Or put another atapi controller? […]
Show full quote

Thanks everyone.
Maybe take an sb16 with cd rom connector can help?
Or a cd controller card?
Or put another atapi controller?

Your best option, if you have another VL slot available, is a VL IDE controller that can be jumpered to secondary port (170) and IRQ15. A dual-port IDE controller on which the first port can be disabled would do the job, too. For a ZIP drive, the ISA IDE interface on a sound card or CD controller is likely good enough, too. Make sure you get an IDE CD controller card, not a Sony/Philips/Mitsumi or something like that. IDE ports on sound cards and CD controller cards generally do not conflict with the primary IDE port on your Tekram controller.

Reply 7 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2023-02-23, 21:12:
envagyok wrote on 2023-02-23, 19:04:
Thanks everyone. Maybe take an sb16 with cd rom connector can help? Or a cd controller card? Or put another atapi controller? […]
Show full quote

Thanks everyone.
Maybe take an sb16 with cd rom connector can help?
Or a cd controller card?
Or put another atapi controller?

Your best option, if you have another VL slot available, is a VL IDE controller that can be jumpered to secondary port (170) and IRQ15. A dual-port IDE controller on which the first port can be disabled would do the job, too. For a ZIP drive, the ISA IDE interface on a sound card or CD controller is likely good enough, too. Make sure you get an IDE CD controller card, not a Sony/Philips/Mitsumi or something like that. IDE ports on sound cards and CD controller cards generally do not conflict with the primary IDE port on your Tekram controller.

If the OP is in the US, there are NOS cards on eBay called SMS 31-114. They have jumpers for all four I/O port ranges, and IRQ settings for 10, 12, 14, or 15.