VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Booted my 486 up and got the speedsys to run. FYI, the hdd test can't finish properly with my no-name chinesium 4GB CF card. But it still paints a picture what the driver achieves on this machine.

Attachments

• dDILYNY.png
    Filename
    dDILYNY.png
    File size
    26.08 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Speedsys on 5x86 @ 3x50MHz
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 41 of 43, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2023-03-04, 16:14:

Booted my 486 up and got the speedsys to run. FYI, the hdd test can't finish properly with my no-name chinesium 4GB CF card. But it still paints a picture what the driver achieves on this machine.

Definitely very some nice buffered read and linear read numbers (as well as nice CPU numbers) .

Reply 42 of 43, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AvocadoLongfall wrote on 2023-02-24, 16:10:

Opinion on running windows 95 on a 486DX4 100 with write back - I’d love to hear what your thoughts are on this?

Like some others have said, Windows 95 will provide some quality of life things for when you need to manage the system.
Performance-wise for desktop use it's going to be fine. Not a rocket, but fine. My DX2 66 MHz is right on the limit with only 16 MB of RAM. 24-32 MB would already make it much more usable.

Forget gaming from Windows, though. Exit to DOS for gaming, or maintain a boot-menu and you're golden.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 43 of 43, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As part of this topic, i got my 486 even into better condition.
Topic: Re: ABIT AB-AH4 / AB-AH4T Write Back L1 Cache
Result:

Attachments

• SSTIMG01.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG01.png
    File size
    12.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    5x86@3x50WB
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!