VOGONS

First post, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this Asus P3V4X Motherboard and the poor thing is sadly missing a few caps on the board I have identified the two larger missing caps (In Blue) but the small cap at CE29 I have no good pictures of to ID it. Does a fellow user have this board and can ID the cap at CE29 (Yellow Circle) for me ?

Asus P3V4X.jpg
Filename
Asus P3V4X.jpg
File size
612.65 KiB
Views
File comment
Asus P3V4X
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The two larger ones in Blue are 6.3v 1000uF 11.5 caps I believe, could you also confirm this is right ? (CE20,CE23)

Cheers to Chrisk for pointing out missing components and helping with ID in the other thread.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2023-03-03, 12:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mandrew wrote on 2023-03-03, 12:40:

Slotket has one missing too.

Slotket will get repaired later as all the caps on that are identical so makes for an easy repair, the board though needs some TLC.

I don't honestly know a ton about caps but IIRC I can use higher voltage ones so long as the other details remain the same.

If so then would these make for a good replacement, pretty much have to work with what Digikey has available here in Australia right now, importing simply isn't worth it.

https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail … 16AH4AA/2712502 (Seem to be the same but slightly higher voltage, also low ESR too)

Reply 3 of 13, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-03, 12:29:

Got this Asus P3V4X Motherboard and the poor thing is sadly missing a few caps on the board I have identified the two larger missing caps (In Blue) but the small cap at CE29 I have no good pictures of to ID it. Does a fellow user have this board and can ID the cap at CE29 (Yellow Circle) for me ?

CE29 looks the same as the ones sitting next to the mosfets in between the VRM coils.

Reply 6 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grem Five wrote on 2023-03-03, 15:05:

I have that board but will be a number of hours before I can snap some pics for you.

That would be great, I'm not near the board right now might not be till mid week..depends on work but finding out the caps and some replacements was first on my hit list.

bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-03-03, 14:49:

Can you check for continuity between ATX 12V (yellow wire) and CE29 ?

As soon as I'm back home ill do that, so far it just looks like its missing the three caps but it'll be getting a thorough going over before it gets any power.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2023-03-03, 15:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 13, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-03, 12:29:

The two larger ones in Blue are 6.3v 1000uF 11.5 caps I believe, could you also confirm this is right ? (CE20,CE23)

you can turn on the board and measure the voltage.
If 5V or less, then 6.3V is a good choice.
Capacitance - is the maximum capacitance available for a given diameter and lead spacing.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 10 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The mystery deepens with this board...New caps arrived and started the process of making the repairs and figured I would give the board another going over under some magnification glasses and well..

Asus P3V4X-Missing Crystal.jpg
Filename
Asus P3V4X-Missing Crystal.jpg
File size
131 KiB
Views
File comment
Mixed Bag
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Its missing a 32.768Khz clock crystal...im getting more and more confused by what this poor board has been through, I wonder if it doesn't have deeper issues that will involve ICs at some point.

Off to Digikey again.

Going to grab a few different ones as I don't have any particulars for this part other than the frequency and that its a through hole radial type.

Reply 12 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smtkr wrote on 2023-03-22, 03:05:

See if Grem Five can snap you a high resolution imagine of a complete board and then go over it in a grid, one square at a time. It could be the case that someone was using it as a donor board.

I might accept a donor board idea but it looks more like deliberate damage to me, the caps were not removed but rather ripped off, posts still in the board and the crystal was simply snipped off.
I have a few high res photos and aside from these missing caps and crystal everything else is intact.

Ill finish the repairs once the crystal arrives and then see if the board posts, its a nice board it would be a shame to scrap it.

Reply 13 of 13, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I made such fixes to a trash board (PC chips) and it just beeps to me , so I made them all in vain. Hope your hard work is not for-nothing. (Today I should test my Epox I fixed-up last time , recapping , at least it has error-code lcd for diagnose).
BTW if your MB not posts , set everything manually , (FSB, voltage etc).
Maybe something from here : is usefull

My 80486-S i66 Project