VOGONS

First post, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Promise FashTrak S150 TX2 stores in a drawer. Probably because I put something heavy on top, I noticed the circuit board is bent.
Is there an easy way to straighten out the circuit board? Or I should be able to use it as is?

Attachments

• DSC02943.JPG
    Filename
    DSC02943.JPG
    File size
    468.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSC02942.JPG
    Filename
    DSC02942.JPG
    File size
    924.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably safer to use it as is. Inspect it closely for damage, bent chip legs broken off smd stuff etc.

Bending it back can be risky.

Heat and time may do it for you.

A trip through the oven on 150-200f might straighten it out. Physically bending it back I’d be wary.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 6, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get a PCI riser cable, heat it up and bend the socket so it fits the card, then use it that way /s

If you end up deciding to try to bend the PC back then at least do it slowly. Put something not too heavy on top and wait for, say, at least a couple weeks.

Reply 4 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! If some of the board was bent but the PCI part was still fairly straight would try as is but even the slot connection is warped....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a PCI SATA card. I would just make it go into a PCI slot.

If it works you are done. If it doesn't work, it is probably not related to the bend... so I'd just look for another one.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The bend doesn't look severe, I would just put it into a PCI slot and over time it will get its original shape back.
Other option is to put it in a vice, and heat it up with a heatgun which will be able to put it back into original shape, this is actually how I have straigtened out some bigger cards that have flexed for whatever reason.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜