VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a couple CPUs with attached heatsinks & fan combos. Tried applying some gentle shear force, but these are not coming apart.

I know that acetone is typically recommended for disolving the epoxy. Unfortunately just squirting acetone into the glue didn't really work, since it's not able to properly soak into the epoxy.

Would there be issuing with immersing it an acetone soak?

I could immerse it from the heatsink side, but I'm concerned that if it then came apart, the processor could be submerged into the acetone. Not sure if soaking a processor in acetone could cause any problems?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use compressed air cans, flip them upside down in a ventilated area and freeze the hell out of the heat sink, 90% of the time the epoxy will break on its own but a gentle twist usually breaks it. You can then chip the remaining epoxy off while its still frozen or you can use another method to remove it. I know ISO will eventually dissolve it with a little elbow grease, but Acetone should also work.

Acetone shouldn't hurt a ceramic CPU, one of them plastic fiber ones might fair differently but you can test that before you do it to see if the plastic is damaged by Acetone.

Reply 2 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the chips is a Pentium MMX 233, so plastic body.

I might try the freezing method first and see how that works. Seems like it might be a quicker method than trying to use acetone.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 3 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-06, 01:09:

I might try the freezing method first and see how that works. Seems like it might be a quicker method than trying to use acetone.

Just be sure to not hit the CPU itself, that's no bueno 😁

Reply 4 of 8, by zandengoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really concise video of glued heatsink removal on a Voodoo 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hB4jOCHLHc

There are other videos if you look, but the process is the same, replace 'freeze spray' with upside down compressed air as needed.

Reply 5 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zandengoff wrote on 2023-03-06, 03:09:

Really concise video of glued heatsink removal on a Voodoo 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hB4jOCHLHc

There are other videos if you look, but the process is the same, replace 'freeze spray' with upside down compressed air as needed.

Thats a great explanation video !

Just do it in a well ventilated area ..unless you enjoy the trip.

Reply 6 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-06, 01:09:

Some of these use a very hard almost ceramic kinda adhesive. I really recommend that you just leave it as is. Buy a second one that doesn’t have the heatsink

But for many others, heating the heatsink with a torch can free up various glues.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-03-06, 05:13:

Some of these use a very hard almost ceramic kinda adhesive.

Is there any way to determine what type of adhesive has been used?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 8 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try to scratch it from the side

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)