VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whenever I've tried something like hirens or ubcd, directx is never installed or I get another sort of error. I'm just after something I can move between machines - doesn't matter whether it's an actual windows install, but from experience you can't plug an xp install into any pc and have it boot - not even 7, it only seems to work with 10. And 10 is way above the system requirements for the pc's I'm trying to run.

Reply 1 of 5, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 10 works because its driver library is built for that, it has the base drivers for nvidia, AMD and a number of other fabs. This allows 10 to provide that support out of the box and its hardware detection is considerably better too, it can also just grab drivers off the net as needed.

Windows 8 should be able to also do this but who uses that.

Windows 7, Vista and XP don't have the same level of support for live boot shenanigans, would take a fair amount of work to make it work too but its not impossible.

https://www.technorms.com/8098/create-windows-7-live-cd <--- People have tried, it might not be what you want but perhaps it could be expanded.

Xp is also possible but it requires 3rd party apps like prebuilder and addons to get it working and to provide extra driver support, I cant link it here but googling it should get you what you want.

Again im not sure these are what you are looking for exactly but might be a way for you to get something workable.

As for 98se there are live cds for it too, again not sure they are quite what you want but check them out too.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2023-03-06, 10:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-06, 10:12:
Windows 10 works because its driver library is built for that, it has the base drivers for nvidia, AMD and a number of other fab […]
Show full quote

Windows 10 works because its driver library is built for that, it has the base drivers for nvidia, AMD and a number of other fabs. This allows 10 to provide that support out of the box and its hardware detection is considerably better too, it can also just grab drivers off the net as needed.

Windows 7, Vista and XP don't have the same level of support for live boot shenanigans, would take a fair amount of work to make it work too but its not impossible.

https://www.technorms.com/8098/create-windows-7-live-cd <--- People have tried, it might not be what you want but perhaps it could be expanded.

How would linux fare? That's an option if I can figure it out.

Reply 3 of 5, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bluejeans wrote on 2023-03-06, 10:26:
Windows 10 works because its driver library is built for that, it has the base drivers for nvidia, AMD and a number of other fab […]
Show full quote

Linux works just fine as a live cd, there are hundreds of live cd builds on google for linux, im not much of a Linux person but IIRC Mint linux is one of the better options for live cd use and shouldn't be too hard to get setup either.

Reply 4 of 5, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-06, 10:30:
Show full quote

Linux works just fine as a live cd, there are hundreds of live cd builds on google for linux, im not much of a Linux person but IIRC Mint linux is one of the better options for live cd use and shouldn't be too hard to get setup either.

What I meant was, can I chuck a hard drive with a linux install on it into another pc and expect it to work?

Reply 5 of 5, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bluejeans wrote on 2023-03-06, 11:26:
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-06, 10:30:

What I meant was, can I chuck a hard drive with a linux install on it into another pc and expect it to work?

Linux wont care at all if you abuse it like that, if anything itll beg for more and keep on trucking. For retro systems you may need to hunt down the 32bit distro IIRC, I'm pretty sure modern linux distros removed 32bit support, don't quote me on that as each distro is different .