VOGONS

First post, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! Recently, I came across one of these LGA775 boards. It has all three of the above slots. Is it a good idea to simultaneously use two video cards on one PC? In the AGP slot more compatible card with Windows 98 era games and in PCIe for later Windows XP games? Will it even work?

Reply 1 of 16, by Makavre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if is the "ALiveDual-eSATA2" from asrock, it will most likely work under win98 but it will be a bit tricky to get it running because it contains both an ULI M1695 and Nvidia 3 chipsets.

About running simultaneous displays, I believe it is supported (surroundView) but from experience I could only get it to work when a PCIe & PCI card were installed.

hjr39c-6.png

ykdd3y-2.png

Reply 2 of 16, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few borads like that exist, but generally the PCI-e aren't 16x even when the slot is the long one, so most graphics cards don't work in them.

The ASUS P4V800D-X is such a board too. I used to have one until it failed on me. The PCI-e was only 4x I think.

p4v800d-x.JPG

I've also found clues of a board called Mach Speed Viper MK8-939A which does have both and the PCI-e is 16x, though on that one the AGP is not native.
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/MachS … 939A_Manual.pdf

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 16, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-03-09, 13:24:
A few borads like that exist, but generally the PCI-e aren't 16x even when the slot is the long one, so most graphics cards don' […]
Show full quote

A few borads like that exist, but generally the PCI-e aren't 16x even when the slot is the long one, so most graphics cards don't work in them.

The ASUS P4V800D-X is such a board too. I used to have one until it failed on me. The PCI-e was only 4x I think.

p4v800d-x.JPG

I've also found clues of a board called Mach Speed Viper MK8-939A which does have both and the PCI-e is 16x, though on that one the AGP is not native.
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/MachS … 939A_Manual.pdf

I actually found one from Foxconn, and it seems the seller indicated that PCIe is x16.
aiyUQhw.png

Reply 4 of 16, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Makavre wrote on 2023-03-09, 13:02:

if is the "ALiveDual-eSATA2" from asrock, it will most likely work under win98 but it will be a bit tricky to get it running because it contains both an ULI M1695 and Nvidia 3 chipsets.

About running simultaneous displays, I believe it is supported (surroundView) but from experience I could only get it to work when a PCIe & PCI card were installed.

And if you install only Windows XP exclusively?

Reply 5 of 16, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ultra wrote on 2023-03-09, 15:22:
I actually found one from Foxconn, and it seems the seller indicated that PCIe is x16. https://i.imgur.com/aiyUQhw.png […]
Show full quote

I actually found one from Foxconn, and it seems the seller indicated that PCIe is x16.
aiyUQhw.png

I'd check with the manufacturer if it's truly 16x AND the AGP is native AGP not some AGP over PCI or whatever like with the Mach Speed Viper.

Edit: I see it's supposed to be a Foxconn 915P7AD-8KS

Edit #2: What I found, it refers to the AGP slot as FGE 8x, so it's not native AGP either.

Last edited by RandomStranger on 2023-03-09, 15:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 16, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Makavre wrote on 2023-03-09, 13:02:

IIRC AGP really hates any other GPUs being active in the system, SLI is one of the huge reasons AGP died as the bus could not support dual GPUs without hardware hacks, even dual GPU die cards like the Voodoo5 and Fury MAXX are treated like two separate GPUs by the AGP bus and by 98 itself and have to share the bus in rather complicated methods. Pretty sure 98 would have a fit if both a PCIe and AGP gpu were present and active, the OS simply wasn't designed to handle such a hardware configuration. XP/2000 may have a better time with it honestly as its built to handle multi GPUs.

IIRC ASROCK actually had a prototype dual AGP 8x board, I'm almost positive they had it at a tech show and showed off that AGP could be made to handle it. I suspect it was a hardware kludge though using multiple AGP chipsets and having each AGP chipset talk to the other via an internal bus.

None of this should be taken as me saying to not try it but rather to remember that 98 and AGP were both designed with a single GPU in mind and will likely have issues with a PCIe GPU also being present.

Edit - The Voodoo5 5500 has some 3DFX black magic going on with how it handles its multi GPU cores, its been a while but I'm pretty sure 98 actually only sees the V5 as one card, the Fury MAXX is seen as two separate cards by 98.

Reply 7 of 16, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ultra wrote on 2023-03-09, 12:37:

Hi! Recently, I came across one of these LGA775 boards. It has all three of the above slots. Is it a good idea to simultaneously use two video cards on one PC? In the AGP slot more compatible card with Windows 98 era games and in PCIe for later Windows XP games? Will it even work?

It's not a good idea, but yes, you can use different port cards at the same time.
Disable second card in Device manager to avoid compatibility/driver issues.

Reply 8 of 16, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-03-09, 15:33:
I'd check with the manufacturer if it's truly 16x AND the AGP is native AGP not some AGP over PCI or whatever like with the Mach […]
Show full quote
ultra wrote on 2023-03-09, 15:22:
I actually found one from Foxconn, and it seems the seller indicated that PCIe is x16. https://i.imgur.com/aiyUQhw.png […]
Show full quote

aiyUQhw.png

I'd check with the manufacturer if it's truly 16x AND the AGP is native AGP not some AGP over PCI or whatever like with the Mach Speed Viper.

Edit: I see it's supposed to be a Foxconn 915P7AD-8KS

Edit #2: What I found, it refers to the AGP slot as FGE 8x, so it's not native AGP either.

The model is actually denoted as Foxconn PC 915A04-P-8EKRS. Same model as you mentioned?

Reply 9 of 16, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not necessarily, as I've seen when looking up the board, Foxconn made several different models, for example the 915PL7AE-8S is also one of them, but all of them referred to the "AGP" as FGE.

Reply 10 of 16, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-03-09, 16:09:

Not necessarily, as I've seen when looking up the board, Foxconn made several different models, for example the 915PL7AE-8S is also one of them, but all of them referred to the "AGP" as FGE.

What is this "FGE"? I never heard about this. So video cards with AGP will not work?

Reply 11 of 16, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ultra wrote on 2023-03-09, 16:31:

What is this "FGE"? I never heard about this. So video cards with AGP will not work?

The AGP/PCI-e controller is inside the motherboard chipset and I think they only have one of the two. So these hybrid boards have to use some sort of roundabout way to have both. Only the manufacturers know what it exactly is. These are designed to work with AGP cards, but generally a source of incompatibilities and general system instability.

Reply 12 of 16, by Makavre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ultra wrote on 2023-03-09, 15:25:

And if you install only Windows XP exclusively?

Never encountered any issues with XP and even went as far as installing WinFLP, however my experimentation ended when Vista came out as the drivers were not supported (flakey) for these chipsets.

EDIT: IIRC, even dual booting with GAG between xp and 2k worked without issues

hjr39c-6.png

ykdd3y-2.png

Reply 13 of 16, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ultra wrote on 2023-03-09, 16:31:

I had one of these boards and gave it away. From Wikipedia articles and the owners manual the FGE appears to be basically a bridge from AGP to PCI, so limited to PCI transfer speeds.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 14 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"As an alternative, Elitegroup (ECS), Albatron and Foxconn have created their own solutions for Pentium 4 users by connecting an AGP video card connector to the PCI bus. Elitegroup's so-called "AGP Express" solution connects an AGP 8x-compatible slot to the PCI bus on systems which feature PCI-Express external graphics. ECS's implementation permits both graphics cards to work at the same time, a feature known as Dual Graphics Engines (DGE). Albatron refers to its similar solution as "AGP Extension" (AGPe). AGPe also supports simultaneous use of PCI-Express and AGP 8x video cards. Foxconn refers to their AGP extension as Foxconn Graphics Extension (FGE)." from Scott Mueller AKA "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" books....
Yes they are "bridged" off the PCI or PCIe (sorta like some late model AGP cards having the bridge chip)....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 15 of 16, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2023-03-10, 00:11:

"As an alternative, Elitegroup (ECS), Albatron and Foxconn have created their own solutions for Pentium 4 users by connecting an AGP video card connector to the PCI bus. Elitegroup's so-called "AGP Express" solution connects an AGP 8x-compatible slot to the PCI bus on systems which feature PCI-Express external graphics. ECS's implementation permits both graphics cards to work at the same time, a feature known as Dual Graphics Engines (DGE). Albatron refers to its similar solution as "AGP Extension" (AGPe). AGPe also supports simultaneous use of PCI-Express and AGP 8x video cards. Foxconn refers to their AGP extension as Foxconn Graphics Extension (FGE)." from Scott Mueller AKA "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" books....
Yes they are "bridged" off the PCI or PCIe (sorta like some late model AGP cards having the bridge chip)....

And they fucking suck, both of them abominations should have never existed, compatibility was mostly limited to the cards they had tested with and any cards outside of that were hit or miss. In general it was a piss poor attempt to keep AGP going by slaving it over the PCIe bus and it never worked that well.