VOGONS

First post, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, i decided to expand the RAM of my old Compaq EVO N1020V laptop, 1,50 GHZ Intel Celeron processor.
I decided, at first, to buy a DDR 400 (PC3200) 1 GB RAM, but it turned out that the base RAM that was inserted in the laptop was a DDR 266 (PC2100) 256MB RAM.
Is it possible to use a more powerful RAM, or do i have to buy same DDR 266 model, but with more memory?

Reply 2 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Within each standard (DDR1 in this case), speeds are backwards compatible. Also, the DIMM itself doesn't clock anything, the memory controller on the motherboard does.

So see a speed indication as the speed limit on a road: staying under the limit is always safe, going faster risks crashes. There's no problem at all with running slower.

What might be a problem though is the capacity/density of the SO-DIMM. The Evo N1020V has an ATi RS200M chipset. I'm having trouble finding clear specs for the chipset, but the laptop indicates a max memory of 1GB using both SO-DIMM slots. I strongly suspect that it can handle max 1Gb chips (note the lower-case b, this is bits not Bytes), which works out at max 512MB per SO-DIMM. If you want 1GB of RAM, you will thus need two 512MB SO-DIMMs rather than a single 1GB SO-DIMM.

Reply 3 of 8, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-03-09, 14:54:

What might be a problem though is the capacity/density of the SO-DIMM. The Evo N1020V has an ATi RS200M chipset. I'm having trouble finding clear specs for the chipset, but the laptop indicates a max memory of 1GB using both SO-DIMM slots. I strongly suspect that it can handle max 1Gb chips (note the lower-case b, this is bits not Bytes), which works out at max 512MB per SO-DIMM. If you want 1GB of RAM, you will thus need two 512MB SO-DIMMs rather than a single 1GB SO-DIMM.

I've read the instructions of the notebook, which i've found on a site:
image.png
Yeah. it seems that it uses 512mbX2. I've found two on Amazon, but... is it a problem if they are not Compaq original, like the manual suggests?
The 256MB ram it's a Samsung, but it's branded as Compaq spare part.

Reply 4 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavageKurtain wrote on 2023-03-09, 15:30:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

I've read the instructions of the notebook, which i've found on a site:
image.png
Yeah. it seems that it uses 512mbX2. I've found two on Amazon, but... is it a problem if they are not Compaq original, like the manual suggests?
The 256MB ram it's a Samsung, but it's branded as Compaq spare part.

That's mainly rear-end covering: they can't guarantee stuff so they only recommend what they can guarantee.

Unlike in the SDR-SDRAM period, in DDR1 things were pretty straightforward. The only thing to watch is that you need double-sided (16-chip) SO-DIMMs. Very late 8-chip SO-DIMMs will only be half detected.

Reply 5 of 8, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-03-09, 15:59:

That's mainly rear-end covering: they can't guarantee stuff so they only recommend what they can guarantee.
Unlike in the SDR-SDRAM period, in DDR1 things were pretty straightforward. The only thing to watch is that you need double-sided (16-chip) SO-DIMMs. Very late 8-chip SO-DIMMs will only be half detected.

The one i chose seems double sided, so it should work, right?

Reply 6 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I not seen PC3200 DIMMs w/o PC2700 and PC2100 timings in the SPD chip.
Dunno about "PC1600 only" chipsets...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 8, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote on 2023-03-09, 18:11:

I not seen PC3200 DIMMs w/o PC2700 and PC2100 timings in the SPD chip.

I don't see the point to your post as I have, the first two systems I checked had PC-3200 DIMMs that do not have all 3 sets of timings.

file.php?id=159375

Attachments

• PC3200 SPD.png
    Filename
    PC3200 SPD.png
    File size
    66.2 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    DIMMs that do not have all 3 sets of timings.
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree red-ray. Have witnessed some DDR 333 and 400 that have only 166. Not all SPD are programmed the same 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun