VOGONS

First post, by MarmotaArmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

A month ago a friend gave me a Compaq mustang-s motherboard, god knows how many years it was stored in a closet. I managed to turn it (with a k62-500) on and I can see the Compaq logo, but nothing else happens, no error messages no nothing. I have tried clearing CMOS and tried with several dimm sticks with no luck, also I cleaned it fully. Thinking in bios and caps , caps look ok. I tried searching for the bios (with all posible names in retroweb) but its nowhere to be found.

Maybe some of you has the bios in a old folder somewhere? Please help
Any other ideas of what's happenning?

Thank you!

Mustang-s info
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/compaq-mustang-s

Reply 1 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

see a logo = bios executes, so is most likely ok. 1999 puts it at the start of cap plague and low end Compaq is a prime candidate. "LCR-T4 Backlit Component Tester ESR Meter'" used to be ~$7, now at ~$15 you might as well replace capacitors without measuring if you dont have one or oscilloscope. If you do have a scope put a probe on cpu supply and look at ripple, same for 5 and 12 V supply rails. I would also start by removing all the cards and unplugging all the drives when diagnosing.

Pro tip - you dont need expensive Panasonic super duper caps, any lowesr caps with matching parameters from reputable source will do fine Re: Trying to fix a FIC PA-2013 that died for no reason (that I can understand) with your help (hopefully)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 5, by MarmotaArmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-09, 19:14:

see a logo = bios executes, so is most likely ok. 1999 puts it at the start of cap plague and low end Compaq is a prime candidate. "LCR-T4 Backlit Component Tester ESR Meter'" used to be ~$7, now at ~$15 you might as well replace capacitors without measuring if you dont have one or oscilloscope. If you do have a scope put a probe on cpu supply and look at ripple, same for 5 and 12 V supply rails. I would also start by removing all the cards and unplugging all the drives when diagnosing.

Pro tip - you dont need expensive Panasonic super duper caps, any lowesr caps with matching parameters from reputable source will do fine Re: Trying to fix a FIC PA-2013 that died for no reason (that I can understand) with your help (hopefully)

Sir , you were absolutely right!
Thank you , the mobo is working now.

Reply 4 of 5, by MarmotaArmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-10, 18:01:

right at what? 😀 did you replace all caps, or unplugged all cards/drives?

It was the caps. They looked fine, that was why I discarded them in the first place.

Reply 5 of 5, by MarmotaArmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm facing a weird issue with this board, I starts ok and i have installed WIn98 SE without any problems. The board has a integrated SIS video, so I tried to install a 3D PCI card, but it hangs in the BIOS screen just like th OP (The card displays video but the system hangs in the "Compaq" Screen.... To get the board working again i have to take the card out, disconnect from power and reset the cmos.
But I installed a usb 2.0 card with no issues.

I have tried changing the slot , disabling the sis card in the bios (very restrictive bios) ... i'm stuck.
I haven't changed the caps near the pci Slots... could this be the issue ? (I guess videocards draw more power so maybe this is why they fail but the usb card does not)
Or this board is just picky and I should give up and, get the wallet and buy a ss7 board from ebay?

I tried with a NVS 280 PCI and a Radeon 7000 VE , both working perfectly in a MSI 5128 board with a Pentium 233 mmx