VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What happens if you plug in a voodoo 2 into a pci slot on a system with a GTX 1060 pci-e gpu?
Will it pass the video through?
Will it support GLIDE?
Will it blow things up?

Reply 1 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems like it would work as long as the gpu supported analog video out through the dvi connector.

You might not be able to get drivers to like all the different hardware though. On that wide of range.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 8, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> as long as the gpu supported analog video out through the dvi connector

Doesn't seem like the 10 series cards do. (edit: seems like 1070/1080 don't but the lesser models still do) Then again I don't think the Voodoo would know if you put a DVI- (or HDMI)-to-VGA adapter inbetween.

I'm guessing but I'd expect lower resolutions to run just fine like that. But can it deal with (i.e. overlay its output on) higher-than-it-had-reasons-to-expect resolutions when active (can a V2 do windowed mode? I forget), or would it replace the output altogether? How about when it's inactive and should just pass the analog signal through as unaltered as possible, does it degrade things then?

> might not be able to get drivers to like all the different hardware

Should be doable on Linux, if just to find out whether it works at all.

Reply 3 of 8, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see why it would not work, but the only OS I think you can get both working with drivers (v2 only for glide) is maybe win 7 32bits?
if you use those vesa drivers on the 1060 and use the V2 as the 3d accelerator on windows 98 it might work out also
for the video out you would need to convert display port or dvi to vga first and then use the passthrough,
I mean I never tested, but I don't see why it wouldn't work !?

Reply 4 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Technically, V2 will work in any system with PCI.
When the V2 initialized, it cuts out the input from the other card and outputs the V2 video.

People even run a separate monitor for V2 cards to eliminate the signal degradation of the passthrough.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are generic video drivers for windows 98 that should work on just about any video card. Getting older windows to boot on a modern machine is challenging, but once you did you should be able to use the voodoo 2 as a 3d accelerator.

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Supposedly the 64bit Voodoo2 driver works in Windows 10/11 with signature enforcement disabled. Glide should work. If it doesn't work on the latest Windows build you'll have to test on earlier builds. Not sure if the trouble would be worth it considering nglide or dgvoodoo2 are available.

I seem to remember someone using a Razer Core X to make the V2 a eGPU and connecting it to their system via thunderbolt on Windows 11 so with regular PCI should be a lot less troublesome.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 8, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2023-03-11, 01:52:

Supposedly the 64bit Voodoo2 driver works in Windows 10/11 with signature enforcement disabled. Glide should work. If it doesn't work on the latest Windows build you'll have to test on earlier builds. Not sure if the trouble would be worth it considering nglide or dgvoodoo2 are available.

I seem to remember someone using a Razer Core X to make the V2 a eGPU and connecting it to their system via thunderbolt on Windows 11 so with regular PCI should be a lot less troublesome.

Well, I'm also running a Win7 box with a 750TI video card; not sure I have a PCI slot in it, though...