VOGONS

Retro LCD monitor repair

Topic actions

First post, by CENTRAL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear friends,

I would like to ask whether an old lcd monitor (2007) can be repaired.

It is an EIZO S2031W and the only problem is that the brightness is quite low nowadays. All other functions are working however.

EIZO in my country will not offer any service on the model, so I guess I will have to find an independent technician...

But is a repair even possible?

Reply 1 of 20, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It needs new backlight tubes, they are techincally replaceable but the panels certainly are not made for this to be a procedure you should be doing and chance of failure (broken CFL tube(s), broken LCD panel itself) is pretty high.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Low brightness may indicate nearly dead CCFL, which can be replaced. Either by new old stock parts or by modding LED light. Doable by skilled technician, but it will cost you a lot.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 20, by CENTRAL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Guys.

There is a reputable refurbisher in Athens who claims to fix old monitors. I need to check it out.

Cost consideration is an issue, but there is no way to replace a 1680x1050 monitor for use with a retro computer that I know of....

Reply 4 of 20, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CENTRAL wrote on 2023-03-10, 14:13:

Cost consideration is an issue, but there is no way to replace a 1680x1050 monitor for use with a retro computer that I know of....

What's so special about it?

Reply 5 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

surprisingly S2031W is not TN but VA, so at least thats special. Still nowadays at least up north in EU you can pick up 20' LCDs for ~10 euro all day long

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 20, by CENTRAL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-10, 19:57:

surprisingly S2031W is not TN but VA, so at least thats special. Still nowadays at least up north in EU you can pick up 20' LCDs for ~10 euro all day long

But, wouldn't they be worn out too?

Reply 7 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, but there's a decent chance that backlight in decent shape. Especially if you're buying from someone personally and not from organisation.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Popular monitors had LED retrofit kits available a while back, but not sure if that's ongoing or just was a period when they were a year or two out of warranty.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 20, by CENTRAL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My research shows that replacement ccfl lamps are a common part, even as we speak. Quite inexpensine too.

The repair process is certainly quite lengthy and delicate, but still doable for technicians.

I will be sending it in next week and see how it goes. I will be reporting back, for anyone interested...

Reply 11 of 20, by ahyeadude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Might try a re-cap before messing with the backlight or panel. I bought a Samsung 204B (similar vintage to yours) which also was very dim, especially on a cold start. Replacing all of the electrolytic caps fixed it. Full brightness, no issues since. Still a pain, but less than getting into the panel itself.

Reply 13 of 20, by CENTRAL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-11, 20:16:

worn CCFL go purple/violet/pink
bad caps usually result in flickering, turning off, or completely dead monitor

I don't see a shift in colours tbh. Just the brightness is quite low even maxed out. 100% looks more like 40% or so...

Reply 14 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can open monitor and take a picture of electronics, with any luck it will be caps with visible damage = cheap and easy fix

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 15 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Being an older monitor, I was wondering how bright it was supposed to get, 300cd/m^2 apparently, which ain't all that bright by modern standards. Also I notice it has an illumination sensor to modulate brightness, which if using in dim lighting might not get you full brightness. See if you can see a sensor anywhere, if it's in a stupid place like on top, maybe having it back in a hutch shaded it or something. Try shining a flashlight straight in it to see if the screen brightens, also check it for dust/debris.

edit: you might wanna check out the settings, if it's in full eco mode or something then full bright might not be achievable, my Toshiba TV is very dim in power saving mode.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 16 of 20, by CENTRAL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-12, 00:35:

Being an older monitor, I was wondering how bright it was supposed to get, 300cd/m^2 apparently, which ain't all that bright by modern standards. Also I notice it has an illumination sensor to modulate brightness, which if using in dim lighting might not get you full brightness. See if you can see a sensor anywhere, if it's in a stupid place like on top, maybe having it back in a hutch shaded it or something. Try shining a flashlight straight in it to see if the screen brightens, also check it for dust/debris.

edit: you might wanna check out the settings, if it's in full eco mode or something then full bright might not be achievable, my Toshiba TV is very dim in power saving mode.

Well, you are absolutely right here.

I did disable a couple of power management features and it looks better. The sensor is on the front side - lower panel, it seems to work ok. I did try the flash light trick, but there is not much overhead left since the brightness setting is @ 90% already. But when you block the sensor it immediately gets dimmer.

I guess it is a wonder that at 40.000 hours the monitor is still operational and pretty decent looking.

What you mantion about the 300 nits of brightness is also very true. I guess we are quite spoiled nowdays by led displays...

Reply 17 of 20, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

40k hours is definitely nearling EOL time for the backlight. It will live for a while longer in its current state though

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 18 of 20, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do agree , you should try a recaping first , bigger volt caps for more power , and maybe a bigger fuse? if not find a new light source (neon or led, from a parts monitor , may not need to be same just same size). if not, find a CRT , they seem to last forever ... just people throw them away ruthlessly. I used new backlights from laptop screen a few times to fix similar issues , (the laptop screens where broken so good only neon for parts). sometimes the volt-regulating module that sends power to light has problems , so try inspecting that first.(many times cables go out) or power-grid-shocks weaken capacitors or resistors ,or other things there.

My 80486-S i66 Project