VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

640×350 is hard to get good without large scale factors.

P.S.
Technically, you can also bypass 70Hz requirement on old Nvidia card via DVD-D. It will always display 60hz. So it's usable with old 1600x1200 panels, which won't do anything above 60Hz without frame skip.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2023-03-13, 02:24. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 21 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree but at least some newer monitors do have it as a real built in internal Preset which is better than trying to force it 😀.
Any time am searching thru the thrift stores I always check what the built in res's are for each, once in a while you find a half-decent one for price of a McDonalds lunch but that is very rare ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 22 of 29, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm happy with my Dell 2007fp which has been recommended multiple times on this forum. No it's not perfect but compared to my Acer 19"
5:4 model it's much sharper for DOS games. For me it's either that or bite the bullet and spend hundreds on a CRT from ebay and pray that
Fed-Ex or UPS doesn't play basketball with it on it's way to you.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 23 of 29, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just like any 1600x1200 panel - does not fit into 70Hz criteria. You can workaround with Nvidia, as mentioned above, but some games are timing sensitive. Also you'll be stuck with GPU scaler.

Reply 24 of 29, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-13, 02:11:

Technically, you can also bypass 70Hz requirement on old Nvidia card via DVD-D. It will always display 60hz. So it's usable with old 1600x1200 panels, which won't do anything above 60Hz without frame skip.

The card uses an artificial 320x200 @ 60Hz instead of 70 Hz mode when using the DVI output? Are you sure about that? In that case everything that syncs only to the vertical retrace would run 15% slower than expected

Reply 25 of 29, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The card uses an artificial 320x200 @ 60Hz instead of 70 Hz mode when using the DVI output?

It doesn't output VGA. GPU just scales internally whatever VGA/Mode X option was requested to native screen resolution. And yes, it will fill 1280x1024 panel without aspect correction.

In that case everything that syncs only to the vertical retrace would run 15% slower than expected

Yes, that's why we have a thread dedicated to fixing that 60Hz limitation on Nvidia cards. But for playing good chunk of DOS games natively on 1600x1200 panel - that's an option.

Reply 26 of 29, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-13, 02:11:

Technically, you can also bypass 70Hz requirement on old Nvidia card via DVD-D. It will always display 60hz.

hi, any pointers on where this workaround is explained? could not find it - thanks.

Reply 27 of 29, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mihai wrote on 2023-03-20, 23:08:

hi, any pointers on where this workaround is explained? could not find it - thanks.

It's literally in description - GeForce card connected to monitor via digital port. But as I've mentioned already, you'll be stuck with Nvidia scaler, which has very soft image, compared to anything that monitor with decent scaler can provide.

I like the NEC monitor - the hardware calibration is a huge plus in my book, if there are compatible colorimeters to write directly to the LUT.

Old NECs can be unlocked to work with SpectraView software via advanced menu. So any certified colorimeter should do the job.

Reply 28 of 29, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-21, 00:13:
mihai wrote on 2023-03-20, 23:08:

It's literally in description - GeForce card connected to monitor via digital port. But as I've mentioned already, you'll be stuck with Nvidia scaler, which has very soft image, compared to anything that monitor with decent scaler can provide.

I still don't see how simply connecting the monitor over DVI would remove frame skipping.
The linked thread is about using an EDID-emulator to make the card output 70 Hz over DVI. Of course, this would solve the problem if the monitor then shows 70 Hz. This is interesting but for that you need a programmable EDID-emulator and a compatible monitor.

Reply 29 of 29, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

60Hz are forced over digital ports in any mode, for compatibility reasons. It's that simple.