VOGONS

First post, by Camtheman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://youtube.com/shorts/riMDqIy43jo?feature=share

It’s a Mitsubishi MF357G-2111UAL

been through so many LS120s trying to find a working one, no luck with any of them 🙁

Got any ideas what’s wrong with this one?

Early 90s: IBM PS/2 Server 95/A, Pentium 66, 16MB RAM, XGA-2, IBM SCSI Corvette, SCSI2SD, 3 Com EtherLink III MCA, Resound 2 AdLib MCA
Late 90s: Micron Millenia MXE, ABIT VH6-II, Coppermine 1ghz, 1024MB, Voodoo 5 5500 PCI, GUS Max 2.1, 128GB SATA PNY SSD

Reply 1 of 2, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The MF357 is one of the first LS120 drives and I've not yet come across a working one. The first gen were notoriously slow.

See if it can read floppy disks, the LS-120 reading uses different heads than the floppy part so you can have a drive that can read a floppy disk but not an LS-120. My MF357 fails to read anything though.

The later ones are better but please be aware that LS-120 drives are delicate drives with complex and finnicky calibration. They can be damaged by drops or knocks during shipping easily.

The LKM-F933 / LKM-F934 are the '2x LS-120 drives' and are much quicker to read and tend to be more reliable. I've had a better success rate with those and the laptop drives.

What noise do you get with yours while it tries to read? sounds like it's trying to read the same thing over and over or just makes a constant sound?

Reply 2 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry have no clue how to fix a bad one. Do not want to sound mean but LS-120, Zip and Jazz all have fatal flaws in design. They were never meant to last more than a few years and very prone to shock damage but once in a while you might get lucky and find one that still works... jmho. By percentage: Zip 100's seems to last the longest.. again just MHO

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun