VOGONS

First post, by Berzerkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings crew,

I've gone through homebrew M68K and Sergey's Xi8088, and I wanted a homebrew 386. Outside of M396F, I thought an SBC of a 386DX would be neat. Then I stumbled across this:

https://alexandrugroza.ro/microelectronics/index.html

I have latest PCB's of most of the project. If anyone is interested, let me know. PCB's are available and if you need parts, let me know. I haven't built one, but plan to, soon. Letting the community know they are available. One for me and 9 for others.

Backplane is being fabricated, but I also have the 4Mx9 70ns 30-pin SIMM PCB's and the ISA signal view interface. SIMM sockets are on order, still need to check the rest of my inventory. If anyone is interested, would be neat!

Only break even on PCB's and no profit. I sourced parts, so if need them, will increase project cost. Pictures show fitting SIMM sockets for future order.

-William

Attachments

You feel a whole lot more like you do now than you did when you used to.

Reply 1 of 7, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen one 386 motherboard that used 72pin ram. Maybe it would make more sense to use 72pin ram and forget the 30pin simms, if the board is created today?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 7, by Berzerkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2023-03-14, 07:42:

I've seen one 386 motherboard that used 72pin ram. Maybe it would make more sense to use 72pin ram and forget the 30pin simms, if the board is created today?

Did 386's use 72 pin SIMM's back then? Pray tell me when they did. Boards which used 386 or 486 with accompanying hardware may have. But you wouldn't see a 386 using 72 pin SIMMs.

Reply 4 of 7, by Berzerkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-03-14, 14:00:

looks like a pretty solid design, let's see how it holds up under heavy processing load

Want to build one? You can see how it does after you build one.

Reply 5 of 7, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Berzerkula wrote on 2023-04-05, 07:43:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2023-03-14, 07:42:

Did 386's use 72 pin SIMM's back then? Pray tell me when they did. Boards which used 386 or 486 with accompanying hardware may have. But you wouldn't see a 386 using 72 pin SIMMs.

Yes, i have one non-functional pure 386 board with 4x72pin ram sockets. It's very unfortunate that it was so corroded that it was impossible to restore. 🙁

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 6 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Berzerkula wrote on 2023-04-05, 07:43:

But you wouldn't see a 386 using 72 pin SIMMs.

one example Re: The Retro Web project - a better stason.org/TH99 alternative

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 7, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Berzerkula wrote on 2023-04-05, 07:48:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-03-14, 14:00:

looks like a pretty solid design, let's see how it holds up under heavy processing load

Want to build one? You can see how it does after you build one.

I do, but I'd like to wait a while to see how it does for others first. Not much of a bleeding edge guy myself